Menu

iPad app - Anything like this?

So we just got an iPad and are trying to load it with educational things. We got stack the states yesterday and my kids are loving it. While watching them, I realized how great it would be to have a game like that but where I could load my own questions to ask. I'm still trying to figure out how to find apps and I'm not having much luck unless I search for a specific name. I thought I'd ask here if anyone has something like this to recommend. So is there any drill kind of games where I can customize the questions/answers?

Thanks

:bigear: That sounds interesting! I'll be interested to hear what is out there.

As far as finding apps goes, my favorite way to do that is with AppShopper. It gives a price history for all the apps and you can use it to find things when they go on sale or become free. We save a lot of money this way!

Also, you can browse (but not search) apps directly on Apple's site. Searching is useful, but browsing can also be fun. Here is the link to the Educational Apps section of the App Store. You can browse by starting letter to break it down into manageable chunks. Unfortunately, Apple has a bug on that site which will not allow you to browse by first letters that are lowercase. Since many apps are named iSomethingorother, here is a link to the lowercase "i" section of the educational apps.

Enjoy your new toy...err...educational device! ;)

Thanks for the appshopper. I was trying to figure out how to see just the free stuff. Having never used anything touch screen or any apps, navigating the itunes store has proved challenging to me.

I knew the iPad was going to be a huge learning curve for me but it's proving to be bigger than I had anticipated. It actually gives me a headache scrolling through all the screens trying to browse and the categories are so broad that it's hard to narrow things down to a manageable amount. I only last about an hour and then I have to put it away. Which is good so I'm not getting sucked in so much but bad because it takes forever to figure out how to operate and load stuff on for the kids to play (who of course are not at all bothered by the scrolling screens and will happily play for hours on end if I let them)

Hopefully someone has found something that allows people to enter their own data for drilling kids on info.

Thanks for the appshopper. I was trying to figure out how to see just the free stuff. Having never used anything touch screen or any apps, navigating the itunes store has proved challenging to me.

I knew the iPad was going to be a huge learning curve for me but it's proving to be bigger than I had anticipated. It actually gives me a headache scrolling through all the screens trying to browse and the categories are so broad that it's hard to narrow things down to a manageable amount. I only last about an hour and then I have to put it away. Which is good so I'm not getting sucked in so much but bad because it takes forever to figure out how to operate and load stuff on for the kids to play (who of course are not at all bothered by the scrolling screens and will happily play for hours on end if I let them)

Hopefully someone has found something that allows people to enter their own data for drilling kids on info.

I completely understand because I just got mine this week and I've had some trouble with it. I find it easier to look at apps from my laptop, download them, and then sync the iPad to iTunes (which I just figured out how to do yesterday because my laptop refused to recognize the iPad).

I'm still trying to figure out iBooks versus the google book app. Maybe I should post a thread about this, but I wanted to give it another try later before asking.