Menu

St. Lucia's Day anyone?

Do you celebrate St. Lucia's Day in your family? What do you do? can you recommend a book about the meaning of the day? Also, anyone have a yummy bread recipe?

I'd like to start celebrating this day, but probably won't until next year. Unless I can find what I need for pennies or nearly free. Still would love to hear ideas though for next year! :)

I would google St. Lucia Day and see what you can find

(December 13th, right?) My only knowledge of it is that 17 or some odd years ago, dd31, who was in high school at the time (catholic girls high school) had to portray St. Lucia -- in retrospect, I am guessing that this was on or about Dec 13th. :tongue_smilie:

Anyway, she and I had to make the wreath for her head, and find candles that looked like they had flames (battery operated window candles were not around yet - we barely escaped from the dinosaurs on the way back from the store) - and she was St. Lucia. There was also a pastry we had to make.

I hadn't thought of any of this till I read your post. Thanks for the memories.:grouphug:

We do! We make Lucy cats, and read about her. It is a small thing for us, but still fun. :) the recipe we had for the breads to make the cats turns out to be nearly identical to the Joy of Cooking's recipe for milk bread. If you need it posted, I can type it out for you. :001_smile:

We celebrate on Dec. 13 with a special breakfast. I make cinnamon/orange rolls (they're Pillsbury, this is a weekday breakfast most years and I need it to be quick) and ham crescents with olives and raisins (ditto the Pillsbury). Dd dresses in a white dress and I get out the crown I made a couple of years ago from silk poinsettias and fake pine. I just omitted the whole candle in the crown thing because we started celebrating when dd was 4. We do have a nice candle and wreath to decorate the table. Dd loves serving breakfast and the boys like having sweet rolls.

We get this book from the library every year. It's not about St. Lucia, but it captures the spirit of celebrating the sun's light:

http://www.amazon.com/Lucia-Light-Phyllis-Root/dp/0763622966/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322450416&sr=8-1

We've been celebrating Lucia Day for several years with Lucia buns (saffron buns in an S shape) in DD's room. [it's a week after Nikolaus Day which we celebrate with Stollen in DSs' room.] We don't yet have any books about Lucia.

Can someone please tell me why they're called 'Lussekater' ("Lucy cats")???