Menu

I really want/need to be better with memory work

tkdkidsmom

Do I want Living Memory, a CC Foundations guide or something else to help me with choosing material? Any suggestions/ideas are appreciated.

Thanks.

I have been handing out memory binders to my kids. Inside are copies of what I want them to work on for their memory work - a Bible passage, poems, words to a song (hymn), or list of thing to learn. They can get their binders out each day and work on them themselves. Their poem comes from the poet they are currently reading (they mostly choose their own poem for this), and I choose a Bible passage and hymn for them to learn as well. I'm finding this to be working well.

HTH

I have been handing out memory binders to my kids. Inside are copies of what I want them to work on for their memory work - a Bible passage, poems, words to a song (hymn), or list of thing to learn. They can get their binders out each day and work on them themselves. Their poem comes from the poet they are currently reading (they mostly choose their own poem for this), and I choose a Bible passage and hymn for them to learn as well. I'm finding this to be working well.

HTH

This is more or less what we do too, expect DD's binder has her Bible memory work, the books of the Bible, and whatever Spanish we're working on (we do the memory work and Spanish in the car on the way back from school), and I say the memory work with her. I've done it two ways, either doing one verse at a time and having her repeat the verse (or sections of the verse if it's a long one) after me several times a day until she has it down, or reading a passage every day and after a while she can start saying parts of it with me and then after a few weeks she has it down. I also have a divider in her binder and the memory work she's already memorized goes on one side and the new stuff on the other, and we review periodically.

Another thing my kids love for memory work.....we put the verse/passage/facts on an index card, and slide each card into one of those small vinyl photo albums with the clear plastic sleeves (maybe 4x6 size). That way it's a very portable size, and they can carry it around, in the car, etc. without much trouble and review.

Depends on what kind of memory work you want to do. CC is great for history timeline work, formulas, Latin, that sort of thing. LM has tons to choose from--poems, bible verses, sayings, and much more.

I LOVE Living Memory, but I bought it, sold it w/o using it, then bought it again. Then I lost it and bought a 3rd copy...

Anyway, it turns out that dd likes to be in charge of her own memory work. She memorized almost all of The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere on her own by printing out the stanzas and hanging them up on her bedroom wall.

I have both LM and the CC guide (2nd edition I think?). LM is much easier to use, even though I like CC's wording better on some things. There is a free (and good) guide on Lulu from a member - Grammar Stage Memory Work is the title I believe.

For poetry we like Linguistic Development through Poetry Memorization. I also have the Harp & Laurel book.

HTH

Thanks for this. I've found it very helpful.

I used Hannah's "Grammar Stage Memorization" to come up with a binder full of selections for us to memorize. It is free. If you use it, though, do check for accuracy. I found a few things that I modified so that they would be more accurate.

http://www.lulu.com/product/file-download/grammar-stage-memorization/631808

I have one binder with all the things we are memorizing in it. I have the kids practice for about five mintues per day with me. First we review some old things that we have memorized. Then we work on our new selection. My kids actually really enjoy this which I was suprised to see. We have gotten a lot memorized with only a small amount of time spent on it per day. It does take consistency from me, though, to pull out the binder and do it.

I love the memory binder idea...just downloaded "Grammar Stage Memorization" to get me started with things to fill the binder with. :D

I think I may still want "Living Memory" though. I'll just have to keep my eyes open for a used copy.

Thanks for all the ideas. I'm excited to print off a few things and get that binder started for Monday.

I love the memory binder idea...just downloaded "Grammar Stage Memorization" to get me started with things to fill the binder with. :D

I think I may still want "Living Memory" though. I'll just have to keep my eyes open for a used copy.

Thanks for all the ideas. I'm excited to print off a few things and get that binder started for Monday.

Great! Have fun. :001_smile:

I also forgot to say that we then all get together on Fridays and everyone has a turn at reciting some of the memory work they have been working on. It gives them something to work towards each week, and an opportunity to stand up and speak it out aloud :) .

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get my kids to do memory work? They hate it! They would rather endure a punishment than have to sit and learn to memorize something. I don't know what to do about it. It is embarrasing that my boys don't know there birthdate, phone number and address.

I wanted to add that my boys, especially K, forgets very easily and constant review is needed with him. I think this is one reason he hates it. He may not remember the answer, but he remembers we have done it a lot and gets frustrated that we are going over it again.

Edited by kandty

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get my kids to do memory work? They hate it! They would rather endure a punishment than have to sit and learn to memorize something. I don't know what to do about it. It is embarrasing that my boys don't know there birthdate, phone number and address.

Somebody somewhere suggested (maybe it was in The Core?) an easy way for kids to do memorization work. Pick a doable selection for the week. Have the kids read it aloud to four times per day, such as read it to you, to Dad, to a sibling, and to the dog. Then on Friday, see how much they can say from memory. This is a less painful way of memorizing than the usual sit at the table/desk and get it done method.

Edited by Mrs Twain

I always start with the Child's Catechism. There are several version floating around out there, but I use my denomination's version. That way, I don't forget what it was they were working on last week--I just ask the questions and they answer to where they remember. Goober 2 is faster than Goober 1 was, because he hears and has heard the catechism recited so much. (Plus, he gets a little reinforcement from Grandma who teaches 2 to 3-year-old Sunday School.)

We start catechism EARLY. When Goober 3 (20 months old) is missing, Goober 1 calls out "Who made you?" and waits for the answering "Ah!," which is all Goober 3 can say of "God!" And I haven't even tried to teach it to Goober 3 at all!

Of course, we've also done Scripture memory work, which I now use a memory box to review. Before I got the memory box, though, the only thing I could manage to work on consistently was the catechism. Something about those little numbered questions and answers really helped keep me on track.

To be honest, I still have trouble doing memory verse work beyond what our curriculum requires, which means that I haven't taught anything to Goober 2 but his catechism. I guess I'll start more persistent memory verse work--probably starting with John 3:16 and Romans 10:9--next year, when he starts Kindergarten. I'll have to add cards to the memory box, though--maybe a different color?

EDIT:

Oh, and as to how to actually do the memorization? Repeat the memory work three times, starting and ending with a prompt (such as the reference, the catechism question, or "Our address"), then get your child to say it along with you. If your child still seems to have some patience left, have him repeat it along with you three times. See if he can say it on his own.

Repeat the next day. Maybe you only have to cover it once or twice, but maybe you have to do it the full three times again. Don't worry, he'll get sick of it pretty quickly, too.

Repeat ad nauseam. See if you can move more towards him saying it instead of you, until you're at the point where he only needs the prompt. Then, stick it in a "review periodically" section of your memory box (or whatever you're using) instead of the "currently learning" part.

And, of course, when it's a long piece of work (length here varies depending on what the child can handle), break it up into smaller pieces and teach only the first part first, then the first and second parts when the first part is learned, etc.

If your child needs help with a word or two when "reviewing," you're still probably okay. (Particularly if he can't remember which Psalm passage is which, and so needs the beginning prompted.) If he's forgotten more than that, it needs to be reviewed more often.

Edited by morosophe

Something that has been successful here is to write a small selection on a whilteboard then have the child read through it. Then dd closes her eyes while I erase one or two words, and she reads it through again substituting the missing word/s. We keep going like this until he/she can say the whole section with no words on the board. They think this is fun and that they are pretty cool being able to surprise me with how much they can remember.

Also, just a few minutes every day starts to make a difference. Once they start to experience success (and praise for their small achievements) they are more likely to be happy to do more. Consistency is key :) .

HTH

PS: Also, I just remembered something else. When my first dd was little and we started memorizng poems, we would say them while we did breakfast dishes together. It was our little routine.....

With one of two of my younger kids, we started with memory work (things like address, phone number etc) while he/she was bathing. It just became part of what we were doing while taking a bath. Maybe your kids might respond to starting off this way.

Edited by LindaOz
Added some more