Menu

S/O: Hostess gifts when going to dinner at someone's house

Good idea.

Too late for flowers today, although I am bringing MOST of the side dishes for this meal so I don't' feel obligated particularly today, but for the future.

Dawn

If the people don't drink I usually bring flowers. Sometimes, for a good friend, I will bring cookies on a little dessert platter for them to keep.

Other than what is already above, I had someone bring me some cute dishtowels, tea with a mug, Starbucks coffee, and at the holidays Christmas Ornaments and holiday dish towels.

I loved them all :)

We are wine drinkers, though, so wine is usually easy for people to pick up on the way.

Flowers -- first choice

sparkling cider?

any kind of gourmet food - I once got a present of excellent olive oil & aged vinegar -- loved it

any homemade bread, preserves, etc

a book if you're visiting someone you know well, even though that is not a typical 'house present'

or nothing for the host, but something simple for the kids -- book, video (not a toy with pieces)

I try to avoid bringing non consumable things for the house, as most people have enough stuff already

some people like scented candles (not my choice though)

Some nice cookies or some type of little snacking basket they can enjoy the next day. I don't often like to give "stuff" because I personally have spent years trying to deal with my own overload of stuff and I don't want to contribute more to anyone else who might have the same problem. I like to give and receive consumable gifts. I hope someone gives us some cheese and sausage for Christmas ! :lol: