Menu

Is there any reason this shouldn't be ok?? (grocery question)

There is a grocery store here that opened right before Christmas. It caters to Latino customers - it's not even called a grocery store, it's a carniceria, panderia, fruteria...supermercado. I love going in there, they have the best pastries, the avocados are usually 6-8/$1, lots of fruits and things you don't generally find at my normal middle-class white grocery store.

But, I was looking at the sale ads yesterday and they have eggs at this store 18/$1. They have boneless, skinless chicken breasts for 1.90/lb. Those are great prices. They always have amazing prices for roundsteak, roasts etc.

I'm not terribly concerned with organic eating, but there has to be a reason they are able to charge so much less than any other store in the neighborhood, right? Or is it fine? Is it just that they know their target customer isn't going to pay $2.50/doz eggs? It seems like I could save some real money by shopping here, but the saying, "If it's too good to be true, it probably is" keeps popping into my head.

When I lived in San Diego, there was a little market like that close to my home, with significantly reduced prices on their groceries. I went there frequently and had no guilt. My Spanish was better in those days, so I could talk to the guys in the meat department and they'd always customize their meat bundles for me. It was a great shop and I am sorry it's now 2000 miles away!

If it is a teeny tiny independent operation, there is always the risk that they are getting expired merchandise or whatever. But I would think that if you shopped there regularly, you would be able to tell, especially with produce and the like.

But I wonder if you are talking about Fiesta (since you are in TX). That is a major chain and I wouldn't worry about them.

We have latino stores in my area, some of the stores are actually chain stores throughout our region. One day I bought fuji apples for $.30/lb. It was a regular brand of fuji apples, and standard quality, just a smaller size. perfect snacking apples for my children. The prices are great and often I can find food for half of what the other trendy, middle class markets charge. Perhaps these other stores eliminate some of the middle man costs and buy directly from the producer?

Could it be that they are making the bulk of their profits in some other way? I know the hispanic grocery stores around here all advertise that they wire money "home." I suspect they make pretty good money doing that. Maybe doing things like that allow them to charge less for food, etc.

or partnership, etc. for a very long time. That would definitely reduce overhead (no rent, only utilities!). Hey, as long as you feel the quality of the food is OK, I'd count your blessings! Sounds great!
I agree! Wish we had one of those!!!

Thanks for your input everyone! I have been trying to decide if it's safe. Of course, just trying it a few times would give me the best idea. It's funny to see what is really expensive there though. Cream cheese is 2.25/block, and I can get it at my usual store for $1. It's amazing to me to see the marketing they do to their target consumers on either side of the spectrum. Well, I suppose I'll get my list together and go try to learn enough Spanish to get through! What a learning experience for my kiddos, right?