Menu

If I wanted to learn how to knit

It didn't take very long. Very, very easy. No special stitching required, my own "pattern." Just experiment. Truthfully, I taught myself in September of this year and it's becoming like second nature. I need to add different techniques now that I'm comfortable. I would do lots of dishrags. In fact, I need some myself, so after I finish the scarf and shawl (also super simple) I'll quickly knit up some of those. :) Try it, you'll love it!!

Oh my. This seems like it's a lot more complicated than crocheting. I should maybe not be watching the one on working in the round. Four needles?!:svengo: Yeah, crocheting is a lot easier. I will keep watching though. Wish me luck!

Don't panic! If 4 needles intimidates you, you could start with a 16" circular needle for a hat or just learn to magic loop. The advantage of the 16" circ is that after you cast on and join your loop you just knit and knit until your decreases get to be too few for your circ. Unfortunately, then you'll need to switch to dpn's. The advantage of magic loop is, that though it's a little fiddly at first, once you learn the technique you don't have to switch to dpn's. But you'll need to start with a longer circ--like 32 or 40". I'm currently knitting a hat in fingering weight on a 40" US1 circ. Each technique has its own rhythm. You might have to try each one to see which fits you best.

As to the OP, I can't recommend a youtube series as I'm not familiar with most of them. I've only used a couple of videos to learn new techniques--Kitchener stitch and continental knitting.

ETA: Lion Brand has basic videos at their website. I haven't watched them, though.

1st, come to my house. I can show you. :D 4 or 5 needles at once, circular needles, etc--they're actually really simple once they're in your hands for a round or two.

2nd, knittinghelp.com is fan-freaking-tastic.

3rd, it depends on the technique. I flip through the different videos until I find one I like better for each different technique. Fat lot of help that is, huh?