Menu

Planning a road trip

I am planning a road trip for this coming summer. We are going to drive from Texas to Tennessee, Virgina, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and then to Wisconsin, Illinois, and back home. The trip is two fold- educational and the last leg is visiting friends. Also, we will stop in Hartford, CT along the way.

I want to hit all the fabulous American History sights. On the list I have:

Colonial Williamsburg/Jamestown

Plimoth Plantation and Mayflower II

Plymouth Rock

Pilgrim Hall Museum

Freedom Trail

Paul Revere House

Old Statehouse

Salem, MA - Salem Witch Museum

Noah Webster House

Gettysburg

President Andrew Jackson's home

Mount Vernon, VA - George Washington

Monticello

What other things are a must see? I need things that are going to interest both my 8 year old and 16 year old (ages at time we go on the trip).

Also, if you are familiar with any of these areas I am looking for reasonably priced/safe motels/hotels and/or camping grounds. We are planning to camp at least half the time to save money. I will have my Life Boy Scout with me and he is an expert camper. Further, if you have information on how long I should allow for certain visits/locations that would be helpful.

Thanks!!

We did a month-long trip two years ago. We pulled a tent trailer and camped at state parks along the way. We found the facilities to be clean and very nice at all the parks where we stayed.

I'm planning another trip for next summer (I hope we get to go!!). We plan to drive from AZ to MN (through CO) then down the Mississippi to New Orleans and back to AZ. In searching for places to visit, I've come across a few places along the Mississippi River I'd like to see. I assume since you will be in WI and then heading towards TX you will probably go along the Mississippi for awhile at least.

Hannibal, MO -- the home of Mark Twain -- I remember visiting the Mark Twain Cave there as a kid and really liking it.

Daniel Boone Home and Village, Defiance MO -- actually his son's home but where he lived when was 65

Towosahgy State Park, East Prairie MO -- mounds built by the Mississippian culture

Mound City National Cemetery, Cairo IL -- Civil War gravesites -- for some weird reason I like visiting cemeteries.

We did a month-long trip two years ago. We pulled a tent trailer and camped at state parks along the way. We found the facilities to be clean and very nice at all the parks where we stayed.

I'm planning another trip for next summer (I hope we get to go!!). We plan to drive from AZ to MN (through CO) then down the Mississippi to New Orleans and back to AZ. In searching for places to visit, I've come across a few places along the Mississippi River I'd like to see. I assume since you will be in WI and then heading towards TX you will probably go along the Mississippi for awhile at least.

Hannibal, MO -- the home of Mark Twain -- I remember visiting the Mark Twain Cave there as a kid and really liking it.

Daniel Boone Home and Village, Defiance MO -- actually his son's home but where he lived when was 65

Towosahgy State Park, East Prairie MO -- mounds built by the Mississippian culture

Mound City National Cemetery, Cairo IL -- Civil War gravesites -- for some weird reason I like visiting cemeteries.

Thanks. There is a Mark Twain house in Hartford, CT too.

http://www.nps.gov/hafe/index.htm - We visited Harper's Ferry four times during the three years we lived just outside of DC.

If it is hot, plan to spend the entire day visiting the town, hiking up to the Jefferson Rock, eating a picnic, and playing in the river.

We found the Antietam National Battlefield to be interesting. http://www.nps.gov/ancm/index.htm They have a small, but nice museum and interesting film.

We lived in Yorktown, VA and really enjoyed the Victory Center http://www.historyisfun.org/Yorktown-Victory-Center.htm - very nice museum and outdoor area.

If you want to visit DC, send me a note and we can chat about all of those details.

The Parthenon in Nashville

Stones River Battle Fields in Murfreesboro (TN)

The Natchez Trace drive is a lovely, albeit SLOW drive. Meriweather Lewis died and is buried along the trail; there's a monument and small museum. Several campgrounds along the drive, although some are fairly primative.

The Parthenon is pretty cool.

Andrew Jackson's home "The Hermitage" might take a couple hours to go through - there's a 30-45 minute tour of the house, and then you can stroll in the gardens and look around the small museum. There is an area near the home with picnic tables that you can use for a picnic lunch (although food/drinks aren't allowed in the museum or the house.)

There are a few nice family-friendly campgrounds in the Hermitage area - Jellystone, KOA, Two Rivers, etc. Or, if we're in town, stay at my house in Franklin free. Comfy beds, air conditioning, home-cooked food. :)

We visited Colonial Williamsburg and Jamestown in September (and the Yorktown Victory Center). Of the three "biggies", the Jamestown Settlement and the Historic Jamestowne (archeological site) were our favorites. The archeologists at the site were so interesting and loved to tell all the interesting tidbits they'd discovered over the years. (Ask about the suit of armor they found in the well...) The two places are very near each other. You could easily visit one in the morning, have some lunch, and then visit the other for the afternoon. We stayed in a vacation rental, but I'm pretty sure there are good camping facilities in the area. We spent a day in Colonial Williamsburg, and it wasn't anywhere near enough time. Favorites were "Order in the Court" and dancing lessons.

Were you planning to hit Philadelphia? The Militia Training in the Old Town was by far our favorite event on our East Coast Trip. Super fun for young and old. Constitution Hall was great, too. We didn't see nearly enough of Historic Philly during our trip - wish we'd have had a couple days to spend there. Not sure about camping here. Hotels were expensive!

(You're taking 3 months, right? :D)

Ha! Well, our schedule is flexible, but I am trying to stay at around 3 weeks for the whole trip. We'd also like to do D.C. for a couple of days - for the Smithsonians and the National Zoo - especially since they are free admission. The Yorktown Victory Center is on the list too. I guess all the major places are on the list. Thanks everyone.

We did a big circuit from Illinois that took in Hersey, PA (not the theme park, just the chocolate :D ) since it was close to Gettysburg (for which we really needed two days instead of one - had no idea! You can buy an audio cd to play in your car that serves as a tour guide, plus there is a great museum, the huge circle painting, etc.), Washington D.C., Williamsburg, original Jamestown (actual site), Kill Devil Hills (and Kitty Hawk) for beach time, Monticello....also an unscheduled weekend in Norfork, VA when the van broke down. Make sure you have AAA or similar for free maps, help when the van breaks down, help in rescheduling the rest of your trip when the van breaks down.....etc.

My biggest tip - get AAA if you do not already have it.

We have also made trips down to Nashville - wandering Opryland Hotel is fun (usually free entertainment going on, too - we saw Chinese acrobats one night!) park over in the mall lot and walk through the landscaped trail to the hotel - there is scant hotel parking for snoops like us ;-) Parthenon is also a must - as is decent barbecue (we like Hog Heaven take-out near Parthenon. Hermitage is also a great place to visit. There is also a wonderful, huge museum of Tennessee history downtown - lots of hand-on "old stuff" as my kids would say. Touring the old Capitol building is also cool - look for bullet holes on the staircase!

Edited by JFSinIL

I would skip the National Zoo in DC because there are better zoos out there. Plus, while the zoo might be free, it cost $16 for the first three hours, and $22 for more than three hours. If you want to skip the parking and take the metro there, there isn't a close metro station and you still have the metro fee.

A few people mentioned the Parthenon in Nashville. We loved our visit there, plus we also visited the Mammoth Caves http://www.nps.gov/maca/index.htm on the same day. I have photos of both of those places on my blog.

I would skip the National Zoo in DC because there are better zoos out there. Plus, while the zoo might be free, it cost $16 for the first three hours, and $22 for more than three hours. If you want to skip the parking and take the metro there, there isn't a close metro station and you still have the metro fee.

A few people mentioned the Parthenon in Nashville. We loved our visit there, plus we also visited the Mammoth Caves http://www.nps.gov/maca/index.htm on the same day. I have photos of both of those places on my blog.

I noticed the parking fees. What zoo would be more worthwhile?

Well rather than adding another zoo, have you thought about doing the caverns in Virginia? They have some amazing ones there. They'd be close to Monticello/UVA.

The other thing is to consult Frommer's guides. The books should be at your library, but they also have a great website. They'll tell you the top things in each state, but they go farther, telling you interesting places to eat, etc. If you have an ereader, the guides may be available in that format for you. Then you don't have to lug the books. You just open up the file and read as you go. Then you can be spontaneous when you want to know the best place to stay or eat in the place you've ended up.

Sounds great!

We did a two month around-the-usa trip this past March-June starting in Oregon, heading south and east, up the coast to DC/PA and then back

It was fun-usually- and a lot of work.

I kept a blog if you're interested. It's not written well, as I did it while we were on the trip, but you might get a few ideas.

http://www.bounderbeast.blogspot.com

Sounds great!

We did a two month around-the-usa trip this past March-June starting in Oregon, heading south and east, up the coast to DC/PA and then back

It was fun-usually- and a lot of work.

I kept a blog if you're interested. It's not written well, as I did it while we were on the trip, but you might get a few ideas.

http://www.bounderbeast.blogspot.com

Awesome- I will check it out. I plan to blog while on the road. All of the campgrounds I have checked into seem to have Wifi- so- YAY!!