Menu

Adding another math curric while using Saxon

mama27

It depends on what you want, why you're adding something. What do you feel they aren't getting from Saxon?

I actually like Saxon but we school year round and at the rate my 12 yo is going she will be doing Algebra in a year and I don't see a need for that. Plus, I want to make sure she a firm foundation in arithmetic.

I have also read SO many reviews of people saying that Saxon teaches the concepts badly in Algebra and higher and that has me concerned because I am NOT a math person and i don't want to make the same mistake with my youngest 5 kids that I did with my older 2. I didn't push them as hard in math and tried to make math be more "fun" than work. I don't care if it's fun anymore. lol

What level of Saxon are you in now? If you're getting ready for Algebra next year. Maybe try AoPS pre-Algebra. They have videos for each section (for the first 6 chapters so far). the explanations are detailed. Just let her work it slowly. If she is comfortable with fractions and decimals then she should be ready for it, slowly. It is very different from Saxon and would be a good complement.

Edited by Karen in CO

CLE? Does this explain it to the kids or do I have to teach it???

Anything else?

CLE is independent after 2nd grade. (some would say in 2nd but I think the kids still need the parents to go over the concepts.) I wouldn't use it with Saxon. It might be too much of the same thing? At least I wouldn't supplement CLE with Saxon. I would go with MM or Singapore instead.

I actually like Saxon but we school year round and at the rate my 12 yo is going she will be doing Algebra in a year and I don't see a need for that. Plus, I want to make sure she a firm foundation in arithmetic.

I have also read SO many reviews of people saying that Saxon teaches the concepts badly in Algebra and higher and that has me concerned because I am NOT a math person and i don't want to make the same mistake with my youngest 5 kids that I did with my older 2. I didn't push them as hard in math and tried to make math be more "fun" than work. I don't care if it's fun anymore. lol

:confused: There is nothing wrong with a 12-13 yo doing Saxon Algebra if they are ready. Are you using 87 now? If so, then your 12yo should be good to move into Algebra. That's what my DD is doing next year.

Also, I know a lot of people IRL that have used upper level Saxon and have nothing but good things to say about it. I tend to believe people that I know follow my teaching style rather than something I read on the internet.

What level of Saxon are you in now? If you're getting ready for Algebra next year. Maybe try AoPS pre-Algebra. They have videos for each section (for the first 6 chapters so far). the explanations are detailed. Just let her work it slowly. If she is comfortable with fractions and decimals then she should be ready for it, slowly. It is very different from Saxon and would be a good complement.

I'll look into this, thanks.

:confused: There is nothing wrong with a 12-13 yo doing Saxon Algebra if they are ready. Are you using 87 now? If so, then your 12yo should be good to move into Algebra. That's what my DD is doing next year.

Also, I know a lot of people IRL that have used upper level Saxon and have nothing but good things to say about it. I tend to believe people that I know follow my teaching style rather than something I read on the internet.

CLE is independent after 2nd grade. (some would say in 2nd but I think the kids still need the parents to go over the concepts.) I wouldn't use it with Saxon. It might be too much of the same thing? At least I wouldn't supplement CLE with Saxon. I would go with MM or Singapore instead.

Singapore confuses me and MM didn't work for 3 of my kids.

She is 1/2 way through with 76 and we started it in August. I know it's possible to do Algebra at 13 but since she will only be in 7th grade I really don't want her to. Where we live we have to assign grade levels and the homeschool association will give an official transcript so I am saving high school courses for high school.

My 12 yo ds did Saxon Algebra I and had no problems with it. He's in Algebra II this year, and I found the Art Smith dvd's - he loves them! I used Saxon with my older two and have nothing but good things to say. I had a science major and an accounting major and they both did very well on their SAT's and in college math courses.

Singapore confuses me and MM didn't work for 3 of my kids.

She is 1/2 way through with 76 and we started it in August. I know it's possible to do Algebra at 13 but since she will only be in 7th grade I really don't want her to. Where we live we have to assign grade levels and the homeschool association will give an official transcript so I am saving high school courses for high school.

So if she is half way through 76, that would mean that she starts 87 in May or June? I guess, if I was wanting to delay my DD for a year for more practice my choice would be Alg 1/2 after 87. And I would take a week off every so often to delay the schedule.

I can't imagine any reason that you'd want to add something to Math 76, especially not a full course from another publisher like MUS, TT, or CLE.