Menu

MFW users: What was your favorite year of the 5 year cycle?

sassenach

What is your favorite year of the MFW 5 year cycle?  

1. 1. What is your favorite year of the MFW 5 year cycle?

• Exploring Countries and Cultures
    • Creation to Greeks
    • Rome to Reformation
    • Exploration to 1850
    • 1850 to Modern Times
    • We loved K, too!
    • We loved 1st, also!
    • We loved Adventures, as well!

Of the 5 year cycle, we've only used ECC. There may not be enough MFW users here to get good poll results.

or possibly not enough who have used all 5 years :) to get good results.

I"ve done Kindy twice, 1st twice, ADV (in parts but not as a full program), ECC twice, CTG, twice, RTR twice. EX1850 (doing it now for 2nd time) and 1850MOD once.

I think I'm going to vote year 5. but I'm torn between ECC, Kindy, and 1850MOD.

why year 5 (which I will do next year for the 2nd time)?

I liked the feel of "wow, we finished a cycle",. I ended up really enjoying the Bible in it. I had this attitude about the Young Person's book at first, but my oldest liked it and it touched her heart. And we ended up really liking Tales of Persia. We were blessed to be praying together around the world for all kinds of things and people.

oh... why repeat it all...here's a link when it was fresh in my mind and I was pumped

in several parts on this thread

http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5509

clearly, each year has clicked with our family or we wouldn't keep using it. but 1850MOD - I remember at the end of it thinking "this has been my favorite". then we did ECC the next year again at jr high, and I thought same thing, and I was doing Kindy that year too...

-crystal

bump! :bigear: I used a few lessons of MFW K (minus the math and phonics) before we had to go in survival mode due to a move and illnesses, so we just stuck with the 3 Rs. I adored MFW K! I'm taking turns teaching it with other moms now for a Sunday School class! Class is just once a month and again without the math and phonics, so it'll take about 2 years for us to get through it.

Edited by JENinOR

I voted ECC and Kindy....but um, those are the only 2 years I've done.

I've done Kindy twice, if that means anything. And we just finished ECC, and it was wonderful. And I felt like we did a lot of the fun stuff, but really I think we could have done MORE of the fun stuff (and less of the book/worksheet stuff) and it still would have been great and awesome learning and okay and not too "light" for my oldest.

(I'm also doing 1st now, but I think I love kindy more...)

We're waiting to start CtG till January because I need some time to prep/plan/organize, but I'm looking forward to it.

(And I'm sorry if I messed up your poll by answering when I haven't done the whole cycle!)

I voted ECC, but we have only done ECC once, the first 1/2 of CtG, part of K (getting ready to begin the second time around next week), and we are currently 11 weeks into Explor. to 1850 and loving it! So, based on that, I voted for ECC since it is the only year we have completely completed (we really enjoyed it!). So glad to be back using MFW again!

Interesting poll results! For those who haven't voted and can't see results yet.... Out of 19 votes total (including mine), they're pretty evenly split across all years, with Adventures in the lead. K is right behind ADV, and then RTR right behind that. There are no 0's and no 1's so far. (I'm guessing the reason ADV and K are in the lead is because most people voting haven't used it all the way through.)

I voted RTR because that really opened up a deeper understanding of the New Testament (and beyond) for us. I've posted at length about how much we got out of RTR, both here and elsewhere, so I won't go into a lot of detail now. ;)

But it was a tough choice. K, 1st, and Adventures are all very rich and sweet for the young child, with enough flexibility in all of them for most younger child to enjoy something out of them. The introduction to the Bible as our foundation, and who God is, was fantastic.

And I love both CTG and RTR because of the Bible coverage. I love how Marie takes you all the way through the Bible to see the "big picture", and where secular history fits in with it. I love reading whole passages from the Bible (chronologically) instead of just individual verses to support someone's doctrine or denominational teachings. (There's a place for the denominational teachings within each individual family, of course, but that's not the goal of MFW.) Many people don't love Streams of Civilization, but that book provides a lot of detail for ME to help in giving understanding to my children as needed. (Amount of detail varies from child to child, depending on age and maturity.) I found Streams interesting despite the alleged "dryness" of it.

I love EX1850 and 1850MOD for the overall view of the whole world and how other countries' decisions affect America and where we are today, both economically and spiritually, and what we can do about it. How we ought to be raising our children in a world that keeps trying to pretend God doesn't exist.

There's a "specialness" about each year of MFW. Makes it hard to vote in a poll. :001_smile: