Menu

Anyone using an iPad app to introduce Chinese to 3rd/4th/5th grader?

QuirkyKidAcademy

The president of DH's company told me today that he recommends we start DS10 in Chinese instead of Spanish. We live in an area where more people speak Spanish than English, so I just figured we'd start Spanish soon. I am aware that China is gaining influence in the US though, so his rec makes sense. I am completely overwhelmed at the thought, so maybe a gentle approach via a fun app would help settle our nerves.

Can you recommend one?

I looked in the app store yesterday for istart Spanish by mirai yesterday because someone posted on here about how great it is. I noticed when I searched that they have a Chinese app. It has really good reviews and sounds like it might be a good introduction for $4.99. I didn't download either Spanish or Chinese yet because I'm just collecting a list of future apps for when dd gets her own ipad but they seems to be highly rated. I can't remember who posted about the Spanish yesterday but they said they liked it better than Rosetta Stone.

I looked in the app store yesterday for istart Spanish by mirai yesterday because someone posted on here about how great it is. I noticed when I searched that they have a Chinese app. It has really good reviews and sounds like it might be a good introduction for $4.99. I didn't download either Spanish or Chinese yet because I'm just collecting a list of future apps for when dd gets her own ipad but they seems to be highly rated. I can't remember who posted about the Spanish yesterday but they said they liked it better than Rosetta Stone.

This app may just push me to get an iPad. I noticed iStart has German.

Do you happen to know if this app could be used when we don't have a Wifi connection? ETA: Nevermind, I better post this on Elizabeth's thread (just found it) since she has used it.

Edited by crazyforlatin

The president of DH's company told me today that he recommends we start DS10 in Chinese instead of Spanish. We live in an area where more people speak Spanish than English, so I just figured we'd start Spanish soon.

Umm, that doesn't mean you have to do it right? I don't think your dh's CO's press knows what he's talking about. Here's a stat for you: there are more chinese people who speak english fluently that american citizens, and the number is growing rapidly.

Chinese is a difficult language for english speakers because of the "tones" -- in other words, whether your inflection of a word goes up, down, flat, or "other" changes the meaning of the word entirely.

I think spanish is still your child's best bet, unless you or dh are already fluent in a chinese language. You need conversational practice to learn a language, and I suspect finding groups of kids to practice spanish will be easier for you.

NOT saying you shouldn't do chinese -- I toy with the idea myself for my kids, but don't do it because of some questionable advice from dh's employer. DO whatever language fits your family the best NOW. If you chose chinese, expect to need a tutor to do any serious study.

Best NOW would be Spanish. BEST five years from now would be Southern US English (we move to follow DH's career, but home is MS). We do not expect to live in the Southwest beyond the next 5-6 years.

I agree that just hearing it from the CEO doesn't mean I should do it. I was taking the advice under consideration because of the direction the US is going. China will be the biggest economic influence in our children's adult lives. Even though most of the Chinese they encounter will speak English, those Americans who do speak Chinese will have a leg up on those who do not. Just something I'm considering.....

SwordedHip, I'll check out "Chinese with Mike" too.

Thanks, everyone, for weighing in. As ChandlerMom pointed out, lots of things to think about.

I would not recommend learning Chinese without a native speaker to drill you. The tones are very hard to hear and harder to get right - if you don't say them right, then you are not saying the word. The tones are not optional. Ma, ma, ma and ma mean 'mother', 'hemp', 'horse' or 'to scold', depending on the tone.

If you can't get a native tutor, I would recommend learning Spanish.

Laura