Menu

How to do a cookie exchange?

Help! It looks like I volunteered myself to organize a cookie exchange for the homeschool group's holiday party. :001_huh: What's the best method for working an exchange and including families who are glucose free? Should we include recipes? How do we divide the cookies? Suggestions? Advice? Don't do's? :D

I have never organized one but the ones I have attended went like this:

Everyone brings in a couple of dozen of their favorite cookies along with copies of the recipe for everyone to take. The cookies are displayed and people graze to their hearts content.

I have never organized one but the ones I have attended went like this:

Everyone brings in a couple of dozen of their favorite cookies along with copies of the recipe for everyone to take. The cookies are displayed and people graze to their hearts content.

I did one several years ago. Everyone brought X dozen cookies, which covered a certain amount out for sampling and everyone taking X of each home with them. I made finger food - crudite, tiny latkes topped with a dollop of sour cream, snipped chives and red caviar, etc - so nobody slipped into a sugar coma by the end.

Did you mean gluten free? There are a lot of gf goody recipes, but I would either decline or just make some gf goodies myself, depending on whether I really wanted to socialize. My family isn't gluten free, just me, so it wouldn't be a big deal.

I've always participated in exchanges that are the basic bring empty tins and one dozen cookies per person (same cookie). There's usually been non-sweets to nibble and the hostess asked ahead of time what type of cookie you were bringing to avoid duplicates.

These two links give nice information.

http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/cookie-exchange-party/detail.aspx

http://www.chsugar.com/cookieswap/

(I like the idea in the first link of preparing a cookie recipe booklet ahead of time and also sharing cookie stories at the exchange)

Last time I did this with a group of friends we exchanged cookie dough, instead of baked cookies. We LOVED it. Everyone could bake fresh at home, some dough was frozen and set aside. Of course the day of the exchange, we all brought 1 dozen baked for sampling. I had everyone e-mail their recipe, and I just blended them all into a master document. Easy and fun!

Help! It looks like I volunteered myself to organize a cookie exchange for the homeschool group's holiday party. :001_huh: What's the best method for working an exchange and including families who are glucose free? Should we include recipes? How do we divide the cookies? Suggestions? Advice? Don't do's? :D

Our group has each person who signs up bake 1/2 dozen cookies for each other person signed up. At our annual holiday party, we exchange them. We have people who are interested sign up on our meetup board in advance, and they post what kind of cookies they are going to make, though there are always a couple who don't decide til last minute.

We do not include recipes (although I don't see why someone couldn't if they wanted to! I wouldn't make it an obligation, though).

I'm not sure what to say about someone who has special dietary needs, though. We let each person bake whatever kinds of cookies they want to bake, we don't ask people to refrain from using certain ingredients or such and I think that would just get complicated. I don't have any dietary restrictions, allergies, etc, in my family, but if I did, I either would not participate or I would ask whatever questions I needed to ask so I could decide which cookies my family could eat and which they couldn't, and if there were some they couldn't eat, you could always pass them on to someone else lol.

Last time I did this with a group of friends we exchanged cookie dough, instead of baked cookies. We LOVED it. Everyone could bake fresh at home, some dough was frozen and set aside. Of course the day of the exchange, we all brought 1 dozen baked for sampling. I had everyone e-mail their recipe, and I just blended them all into a master document. Easy and fun!

That.is.FABULOUS!

I go to one where we are to take 7 dozen cookies. We are to have 15 little baggies with 4 cookies in them to take home and then the rest are for sampling. It works great and then we get a big bag and pick up the little bags to take home. My kids love it when I come home from the cookie exchange.