Menu

Completing World History ~1600 to present in one year

I want to complete our world history cycle next year, so that we will have a year to focus on American history before high school. We completed ancients last year and are currently studying medieval. My two dc are in 4th and 6th this year, so next year will be for 5th and 7th. Any suggestions for texts to get us from about 1600 to the present in one year?

Both kids are good and fast readers, so anything written for middle to early high school should be ok. I prefer secular, but some Christian content is ok. I don't mind buying multiple volumes to cover the period if necessary.

Y'know, so much of the history of our nation is tied up with the world, esp as you approach the 20th century, but also all along the way, really. Could you just do the next two years with more of a USA focus, but still incorporate the world history? I think our nation is pretty complex anyway, and it would be hard to really do it in a year.

YMMV!!

ETA--Besides, you'd kinda be doing two years of nearly the same thing if you covered world hist this coming year and the same time period from a USA only perspective. My point is that it is difficult to isolate US history. Does that make sense?

I want to complete our world history cycle next year, so that we will have a year to focus on American history before high school. We completed ancients last year and are currently studying medieval. My two dc are in 4th and 6th this year, so next year will be for 5th and 7th. Any suggestions for texts to get us from about 1600 to the present in one year?

Both kids are good and fast readers, so anything written for middle to early high school should be ok. I prefer secular, but some Christian content is ok. I don't mind buying multiple volumes to cover the period if necessary.

What about Sonlight 7 (I cannot remember the new letter, sorry)? They cover the last 2 volumes of SOTW, along with Usborne & they add in readers and read alouds.

Y'know, so much of the history of our nation is tied up with the world, esp as you approach the 20th century, but also all along the way, really. Could you just do the next two years with more of a USA focus, but still incorporate the world history? I think our nation is pretty complex anyway, and it would be hard to really do it in a year.

YMMV!!

ETA--Besides, you'd kinda be doing two years of nearly the same thing if you covered world hist this coming year and the same time period from a USA only perspective. My point is that it is difficult to isolate US history. Does that make sense?

That has been our approach. For 7th and 8th we use Hakim (books 2-10) alternating with books of world history for the same period. It comes out to be about 60-70% American history and 30-40% world history covering ~1600-present over two years. I think it has given ds a strong foundation in American history, but rooted in the events of world history over the last 400 years. Particularly as we get to the 20th century, I'm not sure how to teach them as totally separate subjects.

YMMV!!

The reason that I want to finish up our world history cycle is that I'm thinking about putting my oldest in an online us history course for his 8th grade year. He is an advanced student, and i think he will be capable of doing work for credit. I would like his sister to be on the same topic for field trips. Dh loves to travel, so we would like to do Williamsburg, D.C., Philadelphia, and Boston at some point during the year, as well as some more local places. I guess I just think a year of American history could be fun for a change!

I completely agree that it's not necessary. In fact the approach you described (and Abbeyej, too) is what I did for ds's 3rd and 4th grade years by adding the Sonlight readers and history to SOTW. It was my original plan to do that again at a higher level, but the online class idea has changed my plans a bit.

JudoMom, thanks for reminding me about Sonlight. I will take a look at their materials for this grade level. SOTW would probably work for dd, who will only be in 5th, but I think I will need a more advanced spine for ds, who is a history buff. I've heard Human Odyssey recommended on other threads, so maybe that?

Hi Laura~

After much consideration on how to cover world history over two years (6th and 7th) I choose to use "World History:Perspectives on the Past" by Steven Jantzen, Larry Krieger, and Kenneth Neill (1990 version.) I picked it up several years ago on Ebay for $5.00 and found the teacher's edition on Amazon for $12.00.

It has been a great choice for my history loving DD 12. We use the text as a spine then incorporate living books and other sources (Oxford Press books) as well as Map Trek maps for each period.

Perspectives on the Past includes great maps, vocabulary, guided discussion questions, critical thinking questions, enrichment activities and wonderful primary sources! It is high school level but very approachable. One of the authors, Krieger, has written many AP history books. Our 1990 version only goes up to Reagan but we will fill in with library books.

Best Wishes,

Dina :001_smile:

Edited by Dina in Oklahoma