Menu

s/o Share your reading list for teaching VSL/right-brained/gifted/creative thinkers

rafiki

At the moment, my all-time favorite book on VSLs is Silverman's Upside Down Brilliance. It's out of print; try the library. Also note that there may be some helpful articles on the website.

I still haven't finished Freed (*sigh*) but last time I looked, it had some interesting practical ideas to try.

Some I've found helpful (but may or may not apply exactly to everyone's situation).

Strong-Willed Child or Dreamer? which led me to...

Dreamers, Discoverers and Doers (which is nothing short of amazing!)

Right-Brained Children in a Left-Brained World

Unicorns are Real (so far not my favorite but I don't know if I'm giving it a fair shake...need to go back)

Some I just ordered (seriously, 10 minutes ago :D)

Teaching Your Child to Love Learning (or re-teaching, as is our case :sad:)

Nine Thousand Straws

Homeschooling Gifted and Advanced Learners(from Prufrock Press, just came out last month!)

On my wish list...

Teaching How to Learn in a What to Learn Culture

Why Are School Buses Always Yellow?

Making History Mine

I'm :bigear: for more.

Homeschooling Gifted and Advanced Learners(from Prufrock Press, just came out last month!)

There is a long preview of it on Amazon. I want it now!!!!!

FTR, I liked Unicorns are Real (library had it) and I'm going through Right-brained Children in a Left-brained World right now. I also like Misdiagnoses and Dual Diagnoses of Gifted Children and Adults: ADHD, Bipolar, OCD, Asperger's, Depression, and Other Disorders. It's like they wrote a book just about my kids, lol.

KarenAnne gave permission to share her list:

"By far the most exciting, interesting, and helpful: Eleanor Duckworth, The Having of Wonderful Ideas

Can you tell her thanks. :) I have this book (it was recommended to me by a scientist friend of mine) and can't find it anywhere. But I am reminded so I'm going on a search...

There is a long preview of it on Amazon. I want it now!!!!!

FTR, I liked Unicorns are Real (library had it) and I'm going through Right-brained Children in a Left-brained World right now. I also like Misdiagnoses and Dual Diagnoses of Gifted Children and Adults: ADHD, Bipolar, OCD, Asperger's, Depression, and Other Disorders. It's like they wrote a book just about my kids, lol.

The Prufrock book looks good. I can't wait! I pulled out Unicorns again. As another poster said, I think I might be letting my left brain shut me down when reading it. I'll try again.

Reading Is Seeing - I really love this book.

This looks great! Thanks. I will get this and look at all your recs too. This thread is going to be expensive. :lol:

Camp Creek Blog – a blog for doing PBL in a homeschooling environment. Very inspiring!

Did you know she wrote a book? She's supposed to post about it by the end of the month. I am so ridiculously excited, although I could just bind all the print-outs from her site and make my own book at this point. :tongue_smilie:

Nurturing Inquiry - Kristina actually brought this one to my attention in her former incarnation as Alte Veste Academy. She has some AWESOME posts about inquiry-driven science.

Thank you. :blushing: I'm always happy if someone likes that book, because I think it takes a special kind of passion, you know?

Kristina, I'm going to steer you away from Teaching How to Learn in a What to Learn Culture. I was deeply disappointed. It starts with a wonderful premise, but the book is largely an autobiography of the author's trajectory as a learner and teacher. The gems were few and easily found in other resources. I don't give up books easily (especially those for which I've paid full retail price), but I think I ended up putting this one in my Goodwill box. I couldn't even think of a friend to whom I would give this.

Thank you! You've saved me some money to spend on your list. :lol:

One I haven't seen mentioned yet is Visual Spatial Learners by Alexandra Shires Golon. It has a lot of the same information as Upside Brilliance (Dr Golon actually worked with Dr Silverman) but not as much of the technical stuff (IQ scores and differentiations and that type of thing). Dr Golon's book focuses more on teaching strategies rather than causes. Also, the VSL book is in print and cheaper than the Silverman one :D

In the cart. Thanks! I guess I know what I'll be getting for Christmas this year. :tongue_smilie:

Reading is Seeing by Wilhelm (Front loading was stressed over and over by the NP and I liked this book better then Bell’s Visualizing and Verbalizing.)

Front loading was the part of the book that made me put it in my cart immediately. It is very interesting to me, as we do inquiry science using the 5E model. Step 1 is engage. Step 2 is explore. Step 3 is explain. I don't explain (or start them on independent work/reading) until we have engaged and explored! That's also the discovery box aspect of Nurturing Inquiry that yllek was talking about, front loading interest and foundational hands-on experience. That has been such a success here, making me eager to read the rest of the book.

Discover Your Child’s Learning Style by Willis and Hodson (Not like any other’s I’ve seen, takes learning styles much deeper. The book took a bit of sifting through, but was worth it. After I had done all that, I learned they have an online profile guide. I would have gone that route.)

I am still sifting through this one. I was (and am still) perplexed that my observer answers to the surveys were sometimes completely different from DS's. I think it's a combination of both of us being off, but it wasn't helpful. :lol:

Something that caught my eye from the Dyslexic Advantage website, this slideshow on stealth dyslexia in gifted children

eta, I haven't even read through the site yet, but I like things that speak to me in bullets LOL

Thank you!! I just read through that. It was helpful, and (ARGH!) not helpful :tongue_smilie: Wish I could figure out my kid.

I just subscribed to this thread. I can definitely benefit from all those of you that have been at this for a while. Thank you for starting this thread :)!

I just bought Bright Not Broken: Gifted Kids, ADHD, and Autism (Why Twice-Exceptional Children Are Stuck and How to Help Them) by D. Kennedy, R. Banks, and Temple Grandin, on Kindle today. I am hoping it will be a useful resource for someone like me who is just starting out researching 2e. I have also added to my list (recommended from wapiti :D) Upside-Down Brilliance but will have to get that through ILL. Beyond that, and while reading Grandin's books, which I already own (Emergence, I just finished and I am currently reading Thinking in Pictures and The Way I See It), I am looking to put together a list of resources to help me figure out things.