Menu

brain teasers/puzzles for dd

jillian

So dd is almost 4 (December), and I have noticed (after reading the obsessive thread here) that she may have some of the same issues regarding needing mental stimulation in the afternoons (after we finish formal school). Any good suggestions? She likes playing brain games on the iPod and on the computer but I would like her to not be on the computer/iPod so much....any suggestions for someone who is working probably at a solid 1st grade level but not quite writing at that level (she knows her letters and how to form them all without a model).

There are books from The Critical Thinking Company that might work and wouldn't require lots of writing, but I would be hesitant to use them at that age.

I would be more inclined to give mental stimulation through increasingly complicated games, interactive imaginative play with intricate plot lines, storytelling, building with Legos or other materials (even with real wood etc), more advanced read alouds and discussions, more detailed nature study etc.

My ds adores logic puzzles of all kinds. When he was younger, we did the workbooks orally. Two games I would recommend are SET and Rush Hour. (Both are very small and portable, so they are great for restaurants, dr appts, or other situations when you want your dd to sit quietly and stay occupied. Of course, it's just as much fun to play them at home!)

If we had a single preschool-aged child who no longer needed a nap, I'd go on lots and lots of outings. Walks around the neighborhood, library, parks, ponds, churches, festivals, air fields, ethnic grocery stores, nature preserves, historic sites, museums big and small. And take time to wander a bit, and talk to them about everything. :)

(Can you tell I've fantasized about this? LOL.)

Edited to add: if you're passing through an area with little to look at or talk about, you can play games as you go along, such as I Spy, 20 Questions, or making up rhymes. My mom used to do this with us. Tons of mental stimulation there.

Edited by Eleanor

If we had a single preschool-aged child who no longer needed a nap, I'd go on lots and lots of outings. Walks around the neighborhood, library, parks, ponds, churches, festivals, air fields, ethnic grocery stores, nature preserves, historic sites, museums big and small. And take time to wander a bit, and talk to them about everything. :)

LOL

This sounds like what we did when my DD was younger. Lots and lots of outings, reading, outside time and talking. It was a solid educational and intellectual foundation for her. Lots of good memories too!

Edited to add: if you're passing through an area with little to look at or talk about, you can play games as you go along, such as I Spy, 20 Questions, or making up rhymes. My mom used to do this with us. Tons of mental stimulation there.

:iagree: I did this with my first two, and those are some of my most special memories. We read like crazy, talked constantly, and explored everything. It was a fun, magical time, and I can see the difference it made in their lives. I so, so wish I could re-create those memories with the last three.