Menu

Do you have your own schoolwork?

I miss being in college. I was supposed to return in January but the family dynamics are not favorable. I've always worked closely with my son on his schoolwork, so I kind of have a schoolwork fix from his stuff. The one class that is really hard for me is Algebra 2. I do the lessons ahead of him so I know what is going on when he sits down. Sometimes he and I have to puzzle things out together. Thank goodness for DH and his vast mathematical knowledge! But I'm having so much fun with this course that I want more work for myself. I'm trying to decide what I want to learn about. I had a mythology class and a comparative literature class in college many, many years ago. They were both fantastic. I might try to hunt down something along those lines.

Do you study anything for your own enjoyment that is apart from your children's work?

I'm with you! I LOVE learning. I earned my Master's one class at a time on weekends...it was wonderful. Taking classes won't fit into my schedule right now, So I've been doing other things to try to satisfy the desire. Over the summer, I watched all of the IEW TWSS DVDs and pretended like I was really at the seminar and wrote out all of the assignments. Other than that, I read as much non-fiction as I can get my hands in many different subject areas. I'm hoping to get back in the classroom as a student in a few more years.:001_smile:

ETA i think a comparative lit class sounds delightful! I may also want to tackle an art history class, something I've never done.

Edited by Coffeemama

I'm usually working ahead or with ds as well. When I have time I like to work on my own things. Last year I read some King Arthur books, I have a few more on my list.

I also ordered some teaching company lectures for me this week. One is on Shakespeare, the other on the short story.

I find myself wrapped up in ds's work more lately, but have a lot of academic interests I want to pursue down the road.

OF course I have my own schoolwork. This moment I am stumbling through the Prose Edda, Jung and Tarot and Theosophy by Steiner. I spent the better part of the summer reading Jung in preparation for dd's research paper. I certainly cannot critique it if I have not read all of the source material. She is a very interesting student to have and I am fortunate to have had her lead me down some paths I might not have otherwise explored.

OF course I have my own schoolwork. This moment I am stumbling through the Prose Edda, Jung and Tarot and Theosophy by Steiner. I spent the better part of the summer reading Jung in preparation for dd's research paper. I certainly cannot critique it if I have not read all of the source material. She is a very interesting student to have and I am fortunate to have had her lead me down some paths I might not have otherwise explored.

:leaving: I can't stand near such brilliance. I feel like a drooling 2nd grader when elizabeth starts talking...

Yes! And I love it :) I am currently reviewing Algebra and am moving ahead in Latin (trying to stay ahead of DS!) I spend many hours each week on "my own" work. I am also relearning Spanish-I took 2 years in college but am quite rusty. We will be beginning GSWL soon, so I want to be prepared.

I don't think I have anything, however, that is "totally mine" (that is, that I am doing simply because I want to, and not because it's related to my children's work). That said, I always enjoy teaching myself new things, and try to learn a new craft, skill, or something all the time. :D