Menu

What would you do . . . . piano lessons

K is really good at piano. He doesn't like lessons and we stopped over the summer since his teacher needed time off and we didn't have the time either. She isn't going to be able to take on lesson again (she went back to a full time job). She said he was really good and I think he has some natural talent too. This is the only talent we have discovered in him. I wrote on my to-do list to set up piano lessons and he wrote on my list "no I am not". I don't know what to do about this. We have a nice keyboard and he has been getting it out to play Christmas music this week. He really enjoys playing, but he hates lessons. He hasn't had that much and we haven't even made it through the second book in the series we are using. We really don't have the resouces to find another piano teacher (the one we had was a friend and charged hardly anything and was just a few miles away). I just can't seem to give up the only talent the boy has! What do we do? :confused:

Hmm...in your position (can't afford lessons, son enjoys playing around), I think I'd put piano on the school schedule and let him just play to his heart's content for 20-30 minutes every day. Maybe let him know that since he's good at it, he can try learning on his own without lessons. See how it goes. He can choose what he'd like to do at the piano as long as he's not just randomly banging. Make sure he's got materials, both for learning and for playing, that are interesting to him, and see if you can find some instructional videos (online or at the library) that he can watch if he needs some direction.

That's what I'd try in your shoes. Since lessons aren't quite affordable for you, then lessons aren't really an option, so the other options are give it up altogether or you work him through the piano book yourself.

A good teacher can a huge difference in motivation. If resources are available in the future, I'd look for a new piano teacher that's a good fit for your ds.

Another thought: At 10, he might respond to an older teen boy as a mentor/teacher. Maybe you can find a teenage guy who plays piano who'll work for cheap and come to your house?

Cat

Sounds like the other teacher just wasn't a good match for him. Was it the style of music he was playing? We found a teacher that ds had for several years who, although she emphasized classical music, allowed him to play a variety of styles of music.

I'm a firm believer in having a teacher. Otherwise technique can suffer. Perhaps the other teacher was addressing these issues, and it was tedious to him??

Oops, just read where resources are limited. I don't have a solution. Sorry. :(

Edited by Hoggirl

Sounds like the other teacher just wasn't a good match for him. Was it the style of music he was playing? We found a teacher that ds had for several years who, although she emphasized classical music, allowed him to play a variety of styles of music.

I'm a firm believer in having a teacher. Otherwise technique can suffer. Perhaps the other teacher was addressing these issues, and it was tedious to him??

Oops, just read wear resources are limited. I don't have a solution. Sorry. :(

I know from experience that the teacher can make a huge difference. My dd had two different teachers over the course of a few years. While she liked the second one, when the teacher moved dd wanted to quit and showed no enthusiasm for playing.

I found another teacher and asked dd to give it a try. She loves her teacher now. Is much happier about playing. She has been with her now for several years and plans to continue.

I would also agree on the point about technic. Bad technic can be hard to undo. I play piano and only had a smattering of lessons when I was young. One area I struggle with is technic. I can play, but have to work really hard on the finer points that often are what brings out the beauty in a certain piece of music.

I would ask around for a referral. Maybe call a local music store. Check the bulletin board at the grocery store. Many times people who are just starting out will charge less so that they can build their student base. I know in the beginning we went with fairly cheap lessons. Then gradually I was willing to pay a bit more once I knew the kids would stick with it.

I get that money's tight. That's why I never have lessons growing up, and though I loved the piano, I never became very skilled at it. If you can find a way to get him lessons - please do.

I you look hard enough you might find other options for lessons. What can you trade besides money? For instance, in exchange for lessons from a great teacher who taught in her home, I babysat her kids once or twice a week while she gave other people their lessons.

If you really can't find a way - I agree with the other poster that you should at least schedule piano time into his school day and make sure he's got material to learn from. That's much better than nothing.