Menu

Singapore Math Questions

3in9th

Hi, everyone!

I'm new here and had a specific question about Singapore Math. My son is sailing through the 5A curriculum and once he's done with it, we'll do 5B, 6A, and 6B. However, I'm not sure what curriculum follows that. The secondary SM items look really confusing to me. He'll be ready for Pre-Algebra soon, but it's not clear how SM does that.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

I think a lot of 6 is prealgebra.

I'm thinking of moving to a different program after 5B. Either AoPS prealgebra or another program I have.

You may want to look at Art of Problem Solving or read some of the threads here on it.

Some of 6a and 6b is prealgebra, not all. Multiplication and Division of fractions is also covered for the first time in 6 somewhere. .

Becky F

Standard Ed covered it in 5B

I will not skip it either. DS is in 6A now. We find the text/workbook is ok but IP/CWP is MAJOR challenge

I am using AoPS PreAlgebra with my youngest who is just finishing 5A this week (but hasn't been challenged by math ever, lol). She is doing great with it. We'll probably finish out 5B & 6 over the next year alongside AoPS PreAlgebra and do some IP, etc as well, but I'm not fixated on that. I went on to AoPS just b/c she really needed some more challenge, and I was excited to try the AoPS with her. Otherwise, I'd have happily had her finish through 6B as my other kids did. So far, so good.

My oldest went to ThinkWell Intermediate Algebra after 6B, after an unproductive attempt at NEM1 and some messing around with Key to Algebra.

My second kid went straight to Thinkwell PreAlgebra after 6B. Super smooth transition.

I think any of those options are reasonable, and which is best depends a lot on the kid's age/aptitude/interest.

I'm not up on the homeschool curriculum lingo and the abbreviations and I checked the abbreviation sticky and couldn't find IP among them. Can anyone enlighten this noob? Thanks!

The Intensive Practice books (there are two for every grade level, A and B) are supplemental materials that complement the "core" Textbooks and Workbooks in Primary Mathematics (Singapore).

The work in the IPs ranges from slightly more challenging to significantly more challenging than the work in the "core" materials. They tend to be fun for math-adept children because the problems tend to invoke thinking and are not just hard for hard's sake.

Currently the IPs are available only in the US Edition series, so people using the newer Standards Edition version (like myself) need to order the IPs from the other series. Not a big deal.

Bill

We finished the primary Standard series up to 6B and are now working our way through Singapore DM1. I decided to use DM as NEM looked very wordy and my son would baulk at that type of layout. I think he equates crowded pages with more "work". :glare:

DM moves quickly and covers most of the Pre-Algebra topics. I ordered AOPS to cover any holes (Pythagorean Theorem is the only glaring one that I found - covered in DM2 I believe). In looking through AOPS, I was satisfied that we would be covering everything by continuing with DM1.