Menu

Anything similar to Oak Meadow?

lorrainejmc

I like the idea of OM (OK, I've been taking the catalog to bed :blushing:) but have reservations about the math and language arts being integrated. Is there anything similar that has a crafty/waldorf inspired approach that doesn't include math and LA, or would that be going against the philosophy of such a curriculum?

I'm a fairly relaxed homeschooler and this is what draws me to OM, but I don't want to keep changing curriculum for math and LA, especially ones that are working well for us. In fact, our current eclectic mix is working fine but OM is whispering my name.......:lol:

What about OM is calling your name? You could keep your Math and LA, but add in a main lesson block for Science or History. I wouldn't suggest OM for you.

You wouldn't? Well, when I started homeschooling my ds he was newly 5 but compulsory school age here. That year we had a waldorf inspired year of stories, songs, poems and crafts with a seasonal theme. I suppose that's what is drawing me to OM. Waldorf style inspired me when I first started out. I suspect if I had known about OM then I would have bought it.

I think it woukd be a waste of money. There are a lot of great Waldorf resources out there for the subjects you want.

That is why I asked what do you want to teach? Do you want Main Lesson Blocks?

From looking at the samples, I like how science and social studies is presented in OM. I like the crafts and folk/fairy tales and the additional book choices.

I must admit you're making me doubt whether OM would be worth looking at further.:( But I did start this thread to find out what other similar curricula there are that cover the individual subjects in a waldorf style. I wasn't aware of any.

:grouphug: I know how hard it is to choose. Through the years, we have used some OM, and I have fond memories of those happy days. You can use it without the math and LA, if you choose, but they are really good. I love the integration. Gentle is nice in the younger grades, and the imagination is nurtured in their programs. In fact, our oldest dd used their English in high school, and is a wonderful writer (even though she is a scientist at heart). The folks at OM are very sweet, and would welcome your call to talk over your concerns. They always have a nice sale in the springtime, if you can wait. ;) You can also find some nice articles and inspiration here: http://www.waldorfcurriculum.com/

ETA: I did have another thought. Have you also looked into the Charlotte Mason approach? They have similarities. I have used and loved materials from Queen Homeschool and Simply Charlotte Mason, as well as the schedules from Ambleside.

Edited by Blueridge

I really like OM, too. I am not trying to dismiss your choice. Christopherus and A Little Garden Flower aree other Waldorf choices.

I really like OM, too. My third son is special needs and we are stuck at OM 2. So, we tried adding some other things and it ended up being crazy trying to do all the things and missing out on parts of the curriculum. If you like your Math and LA choices then you will be using very little of the younger grades. If you want to spend it, then that's fine.

I think like OM so I found I can be Waldorfy with whatever I use.

The older grades are different though.

:grouphug: I know how hard it is to choose. Through the years, we have used some OM, and I have fond memories of those happy days. You can use it without the math and LA, if you choose, but they are really good. I love the integration. Gentle is nice in the younger grades, and the imagination is nurtured in their programs. In fact, our oldest dd used their English in high school, and is a wonderful writer (even though she is a scientist at heart). The folks at OM are very sweet, and would welcome your call to talk over your concerns. They always have a nice sale in the springtime, if you can wait. ;) You can also find some nice articles and inspiration here: http://www.waldorfcurriculum.com/

ETA: I did have another thought. Have you also looked into the Charlotte Mason approach? They have similarities. I have used and loved materials from Queen Homeschool and Simply Charlotte Mason, as well as the schedules from Ambleside.

Yes, we probably are more CM than Waldorf. Now if there was a CM inspired curriculum where Bible was optional......:lol:

Don't get me wrong, I do teach Bible, but I prefer to do it my way and for it not to be integrated into everything.

Can I ask what grade level you would be using if you used OM...?

My dd would be using grade 5, my 2 boys grade 1. I could see my dd using it as it is but continuing with her own math. One of my boys is actually grade 2 age but has language delays and isn't reading or writing yet. My other boy is 5 and is a beginning reader/writer. I'm looking ahead (rather prematurely) to next autumn.:)

Edited by lorrainejmc

I've heard that the project based coursed with Laurel Springs are similar to Oak Meadow.

Unless they've changed since we've done LS, I *strongly* disagree with this. I didn't see what grade level the OP is looking for, but my one experience with Laurel Spring's so-called "project-based" courses was terrible.

My oldest did their "project-based" kindergarten years ago, and it was all Frank Schaffer blackline-master workbooks, with a handful of "theme" cards included. They looked like file folders and had activity ideas on them, but they were mass marketed for classroom teachers so most of the ideas were useless. Oh, and the reading texts were the more expensive, classroom version of the Spectrum workbooks. So everything was workbook based, except that every couple of months, there was a theme card assigned. The themes were typical kindergarten stuff - transportation, community helpers, etc.

Definitely NOT worth the money, and nothing at *all* like Oak Meadow... unless Laurel Springs has changed, or unless the K program isn't representative of the other project-based courses.

My dd would be using grade 5, my 2 boys grade 1. I could see my dd using it as it is but continuing with her own math. One of my boys is actually grade 2 age but has language delays and isn't reading or writing yet. My other boy is 5 and is a beginning reader/writer. I'm looking ahead (rather prematurely) to next autumn.:)

Ah. Well, I don't know if you've already seen this but I did OM5 with my daughter last year, and here's what a sample week looked like (schedule and some pics)...

http://nancextoo.livejournal.com/126296.html

When we did OM5, we did it all except for the math (I used TT instead). And I added on just a couple of minor things...a cursive work book, Sentence Composing for Elementary School, doing our own thing for "music."

I think you could easily do OM5 for the fun hands on stuff and the writing assignments and so on but do whatever math you want and add on any additional grammar etc you feel is necessary.

I haven't done OM1 yet but I do also have a Kindergarten sample schedule and pics if you wanted to take a peek:

http://nancextoo.livejournal.com/125979.html

So far I'm doing K with my son this year (tried it last year but he wasn't ready so we stopped and tried again this year- going much better now!), and I've done OM4, and OM5 with my daughter (doing OM6 with her this year) and we enjoy it.

It's the most gentle from like K-2 from what I understand. I know in 4th they started introducing a decent amount of reading and writing assignments and such. But I haven't yet done grades 1-3 (I didn't pull my daughter out of public school til toward the very end of third grade; but my son will eventually use 1-3...I plan to use OM with both of them at least through 8th grade and then check into their high school stuff and see what that's like if we're still homeschooling then).

I've always loved how they integrate in the later elementary school years...how the social studies lesson is brief in the book and then rounded out with living books, creative choices of writing assignments, and some sort of hands on activity or craft, and the writing assignments for language arts tie into the social studies material and so on. I like that it's not dry and textbookish and focused on worksheets and tests. It's interesting and fun (well, usually :P) and we enjoy doing a lot of it together.

I also like how the earliest years are gentle and Waldorf-inspired and creative and don't push hard academics at the age of 5 or 6.

P.S. Here's my review of OM in general if you haven't already seen that:

http://nancextoo.livejournal.com/124071.html

Edited by NanceXToo

Yes, we probably are more CM than Waldorf. Now if there was a CM inspired curriculum where Bible was optional......:lol:

Don't get me wrong, I do teach Bible, but I prefer to do it my way and for it not to be integrated into everything.

I think there's a secular CM yahoo group...maybe you could find some ideas there.

Ah. Well, I don't know if you've already seen this but I did OM5 with my daughter last year, and here's what a sample week looked like (schedule and some pics)...

http://nancextoo.livejournal.com/126296.html

When we did OM5, we did it all except for the math (I used TT instead). And I added on just a couple of minor things...a cursive work book, Sentence Composing for Elementary School, doing our own thing for "music."

I think you could easily do OM5 for the fun hands on stuff and the writing assignments and so on but do whatever math you want and add on any additional grammar etc you feel is necessary.

I haven't done OM1 yet but I do also have a Kindergarten sample schedule and pics if you wanted to take a peek:

http://nancextoo.livejournal.com/125979.html

So far I'm doing K with my son this year (tried it last year but he wasn't ready so we stopped and tried again this year- going much better now!), and I've done OM4, and OM5 with my daughter (doing OM6 with her this year) and we enjoy it.

It's the most gentle from like K-2 from what I understand. I know in 4th they started introducing a decent amount of reading and writing assignments and such. But I haven't yet done grades 1-3 (I didn't pull my daughter out of public school til toward the very end of third grade; but my son will eventually use 1-3...I plan to use OM with both of them at least through 8th grade and then check into their high school stuff and see what that's like if we're still homeschooling then).

I've always loved how they integrate in the later elementary school years...how the social studies lesson is brief in the book and then rounded out with living books, creative choices of writing assignments, and some sort of hands on activity or craft, and the writing assignments for language arts tie into the social studies material and so on. I like that it's not dry and textbookish and focused on worksheets and tests. It's interesting and fun (well, usually :P) and we enjoy doing a lot of it together.

I also like how the earliest years are gentle and Waldorf-inspired and creative and don't push hard academics at the age of 5 or 6.

P.S. Here's my review of OM in general if you haven't already seen that:

http://nancextoo.livejournal.com/124071.html

I really enjoyed your blog, especially what your son said about the bottom muscle. :lol:

From looking at what your kids have been doing I really think OM could be right for us after all. :001_smile:

Live Education is True Waldorf, not for the faint hearted.

Oh, my, gosh! I agree. I thought OM was teacher intensive. :lol:

Nance has a lot of great information on her blog. I linked to it from my blog for her Oak Meadow reviews, among other things. I have a lot of the early years on my blog, years K, 1 and now a few weeks into 2. Like everything out there, it has its strengths and weaknesses. I wouldn't plan the fun crafts, art or activities if it weren't laid out for me. Oak Meadow gives me that plus some amazing, thought-provoking stories and sweet memories. Good luck with whatever your decision is. :)