Menu

Group Massage - What to expect?

Tomorrow my MIL will be treating myself and my future SIL to a massage. All three of us will be massaged at the same time. I am not quite sure what to expect.

Will we need to shower afterward?

Will we be undressing together? Provided with a robe for privacy?

Chatting with each other during the massage or quietly relaxing?

I feel so silly asking, thanks for any replies!

SJ

Tomorrow my MIL will be treating myself and my future SIL to a massage. All three of us will be massaged at the same time. I am not quite sure what to expect.

Will we need to shower afterward?

Will we be undressing together? Provided with a robe for privacy?

Chatting with each other during the massage or quietly relaxing?

I feel so silly asking, thanks for any replies!

SJ

I have had two different types of group massage. One was just me and my husband (a couple's massage). We undressed together and talked during the massage some, we were quiet for part of it. The other was at a massage school and done by a student in a room of about 25 people. The men were asked to step out. All the women undressed and got covered laying face down. Then the men came in and undressed. We only spoke to our own therapist. After the massage, we were all face up. The therapists covered our faces with a towel. The men were asked to get dressed and leave. When they were all gone, the women were told we could get up.

I have never showered right after a massage.

That sounds like a fun day. Try to relax and enjoy it. But feel free to speak up to your therapist about anything you like or dislike.

Are you sure you'll all be in the same room? Mercy, I wouldn't like that, just me. I get a massage every week btw, have for almost 10 years. My favorite part is talking to the massage therapist and gradually zonking out. That would be very uncomfortable to have someone else there (or 25 people watching, ack!).

Usually massage rooms are small. Maybe you just misunderstood and it will be the three of you at the same time slot with three massage therapists, all in separate rooms? That's how I would want it. And if it ain't that way, I'd make sure it got fixed, just me. Things I do undressed, I don't do in a group. ;)

I would call the specific place you are going to; it varies a lot, and they are used to answering these types of questions. At many places, they can accommodate small groups in the same room, but that doesn't mean your m-i-l requested that.

Personally, I'd need to know if we were all going to be in the same room, because I'd need a big ol' drink first!

I used to be a massage therapist (many, many years ago :tongue_smilie:) and I still get massages from time to time, though not group ones. Not that I have anything against that, just hasn't happened. Your MIL is very nice and I say enjoy it. :D :grouphug:

* Showering after - I've never had to shower afterward - but I guess you can if you want to. Again, I've never done so

* Undressing together - don't know - you can turn around and be modest about it. They usually do give robes, or, at the very least, towels. Most masseuses want YOU, the client, to be comfortable. So if you prefer to wear your underwear, you do so. If you don't mind, you take it off.

* I would prefer to relax rather than chat. But I personally would try to not get uptight about that, and let MIL (since she'd be the one treating me) lead the way as far as conversations go. Obviously MIL is probably used to getting massages from time to time.

Your questions are not silly ones. :grouphug: Have a wonderful time. This is a lovely and well-deserved treat. I think everyone should get a massage now and again. Has so many benefits.

When we were in Thailand there were long lines of massage therapists. In that scenario everyone was in swimming gear, and simply undid tops when lying face down. My friend and I did chat a little, but in general I prefer quiet when I get a massage.

When I have had aromatherapy massages I have felt oily and showered as soon as I got home (I have never been offered a shower, and wearing slip on shoes with oily feet feels seriously nasty). For Thai and Chinese massages they don't seem to use oil, and a shower is not necessary.

Personally, I'd need to know if we were all going to be in the same room, because I'd need a big ol' drink first!

I'm glad someone else said it! I was wondering if I was the only awkward person for whom this scenario sounds like a nightmare. :lol:

Thanks everyone for responding. Some of your answers are cracking me up! :lol:

I'm pretty sure we are all going to be together. I believe MIL had to call a few places to find one that could accommodate 3.

I feel much better having a little bit of an idea of what I am getting myself into. I'm sure it is going to be a great day and I am looking forward to it.

SJ

Ummm, lol, I was afraid to click on this thread, thinking you meant a group of people all massaging eachother, and then the little bit that shows up when I hovered over the title said something about a MIL in the mix... What does it say about me that I clicked anyhow? :D

:smilielol5: :lol: :smilielol5: