Menu

Kindle vs Nook, touchscreen vs keyboard...so many questions!

So I've decided that I want an ereader for Christmas this year. I'm really excited about the idea. But I'm soooo overwhelmed by the actual selection of devices!!

I'm leaning toward a Kindle, largely due to name recognition. And because I adore Amazon. Are there any reasons I should reconsider and try another brand instead? At this point the reader will be used for my personal reading mostly because my kids are little-bitty still. Though I love the idea of playing audiobooks for my 3yo. A big selection of titles is important to me, but the absolute best screen quallity is not. as long as it won't trigger migraines.

Touch screen or keyboard? I'm leaning toward keyboard because I don't want to put goopy hands all over the thing. My hands are goopy more often than I'd like to admit with three little kids around. Plus I have a touch screen phone and it drives me batty.

Does the Kindle (or the other ereaders) allow you to type documents outside of a specific book? I'm not looking to write a novel here, but I used to like to keep a couple of lists in my phone - gift ideas, books to read, etc - and my new phone won't let me do that.

I'm thinking I won't get the 3G, it doesn't seem that useful for me. I don't think it'll be a problem to load a bunch of books on it at home (we have wifi at home) and be fine wherever I go. Plus so many places have wireless now...do you think I'll be fine without it or is the 3G really awesome?

OK, that's enough questions for one post! Help me please!

I'm leaning toward a Kindle, largely due to name recognition. And because I adore Amazon. Are there any reasons I should reconsider and try another brand instead?
I think that's the main point. I bought a Nook over a year ago but it hasn't received much use. Why? Because it is much more difficult to collect free content for Nook than for Kindle. Even though we do not have an actual Kindle, yet, we have collected tons of content for Kindle which we read on PCs, Android phones and now the iPad. We have Kindle Fires on order.
I'm thinking I won't get the 3G, it doesn't seem that useful for me.
One point to consider there: Amazon allows you to use the Kindle web browser over 3G. That could come in handy when you are out-and-about. Edited by RegGuheert

Well, I have a Nook 3G. I chose it about 18 months ago because I wanted access to library books and ePub. If I was choosing, today, though, I'd probably get a Kindle. It still doesn't read ePub, but it does do library books now and the selection is just a touch better than the Nook. Three books I wanted lately weren't available for Nook, but are for Kindle. :glare:

I also have an iPad, and I've been reading on that more even though it is backlit.

I'm not sure about notetaking or listmaking on the newer Nooks or Kindles, but my Nook doesn't offer that. The Nook Color has apps and whatnot and of course, the Kindle Fire will too.

ETA: I had preordered a Fire and canceled it, but I'm rethinking that decision. :confused:

Edited by Zuzu822

In case you are considering the Kindle Fire and/or the new NookColor, here is a recent review: New Nook Color could beat Kindle Fire's sub-$200 price. To me, one of the key points in the article is this:

"The issue [facing Barnes & Noble] is price and availability of content, which is the key issue for all tablets going forward," said Jack Gold, an analyst at J. Gold Associates.

In case you are considering the Kindle Fire and/or the new NookColor, here is a recent review: New Nook Color could beat Kindle Fire's sub-$200 price. To me, one of the key points in the article is this:

Seriously, this all makes my head spin!

I was going to add that one of the things that pushed me toward Nook originally was the option for additional storage. You've seen my physical book collection, so a reasonable assumption, lol, but so far I haven't needed it digitally.

I was going to add that one of the things that pushed me toward Nook originally was the option for additional storage. You've seen my physical book collection, so a reasonable assumption, lol, but so far I haven't needed it digitally.
I think cloud storage and the cloud reader on the Kindle Fire largely eliminate that concern. The big exception being availability of books when out-and-about. (I have internet access through my Android phone, so it's not a problem here.)

I think cloud storage and the cloud reader on the Kindle Fire largely eliminate that concern. The big exception being availability of books when out-and-about. (I have internet access through my Android phone, so it's not a problem here.)

If only it had an sd card slot. I would very much love to be able to pop my camera's card into it and see pics bigger when away from my pc. It would save me steps.

Can't have everything I guess. :tongue_smilie:

Seriously, this all makes my head spin!

Zuzu, I have seen your physical book collection and I am pretty confident that if you haven't needed additional storage, I'll be fine, lol.

I love the idea of being able to borrow books for it. I don't have Prime, but that might make me think seriously about it.

Zuzu, I have seen your physical book collection and I am pretty confident that if you haven't needed additional storage, I'll be fine, lol.

I love the idea of being able to borrow books for it. I don't have Prime, but that might make me think seriously about it.

I did manage to do a little downsizing of my collection this fall! :D Had to make way for more children's books.

You will NEVER regret a Prime membership! Plus, you could share with it famility members. My sister and parents are on mine. I would give up so much before I'd relinquish Prime. :tongue_smilie:

We have a Nook with e-ink. Wonderful on the eyes; I can read for hours and hours with no eye strain, tearing, dryness or headache/migraines.

We are able to download books from the library easily with it.

Touch screens are not for me; I can't stand reading through a ton of fingerprints:tongue_smilie:.

*We will be getting a Kindle for Christmas, just to have another option with e-ink.

*DD will be getting the color Nook for her gift.

Enjoy which ever you choose, I was so resistant to an ereader, but I'm a convert it easier on my eyes than a regular book.

I have a 3rd generation Kindle and a Nook Color. I paid about $200 for both of them together by buying certified refurbs. I also bought an Android SD card to turn the Nook Color into a full fledged Android tablet.

I prefer the Kindle for reading. The NC is great for checking in here :001_smile:, games, a calendar, all of the things I can do on my laptop, with the added advantage of being exceedingly portable. When I intend to sit down and read, I ALWAYS reach for the Kindle

I have a 3rd generation Kindle and a Nook Color. I paid about $200 for both of them together by buying certified refurbs. I also bought an Android SD card to turn the Nook Color into a full fledged Android tablet.

I prefer the Kindle for reading. The NC is great for checking in here :001_smile:, games, a calendar, all of the things I can do on my laptop, with the added advantage of being exceedingly portable. When I intend to sit down and read, I ALWAYS reach for the Kindle

Interesting. This is making the Color/Fire look more appealing to me. Or maybe I just need a tablet. I love the idea of having a calendar, games, and the internet in such a small package. I have a Netbook for my main computer and I love it and use it to death.

Darn, I can't make a decision. I bet there are some awesome deals on these on black friday too.

I love my Kindle (which is now called a Kindle Keyboard), and my DH liked using mine so much we got him one of the new $79 special offer ones. I have an iPod touch but prefer reading on a non-touch screen because it's much easier to keep it clean of smudges and fingerprints.

Yeah that would drive me nuts. I'm starting to think I need both a tablet and a kindle keyboard, lol. I don't think that's in the budget for Christmas, though, so I need to decide which comes first.