Menu

Dairy intolerance/allergy question

It might be worth a try.

When we found out my dd was allergic to cow's milk, we started using goat dairy products. She did end up developing an allergy to it about 4 months later...so now she is totally dairy free. But I've heard that some people allergic to cow dairy have success with other dairys.

Some people can tolerate goat and sheep cheese, some just one or the other. I can tolerate both, but tolerate sheep cheese better than goat cheese. The proteins are close but different. Sheep cheese is actually tolerated by a higher percentage of people allergic to cow milk than goat cheese. Plus, it is yummier than goat cheese. I have a true allergy, it comes up in both blood and skin tests.

My ds is allergic to dairy and has never been able to tolerate goat's milk/cheese either. We never tried sheep products. He is ok with soy. I read an article (can't remember where or the title, but could probably be found with a little googling) once that discussed the allergic possibilities of various animal milks. The milks' proteins were analyzed in relation to the proteins in human milk. Not surprisingly, the closer the proteins were to those in human milk the less likely the milk was to be allergenic. I believe donkey and camel milk were the closest to human milk. Weird, right?!? I thought it was interesting at the time and this post just jogged my memory.

Dd cannot tolerate cow's milk, soy milk, or goat's milk--the proteins are too similar for her level of allergy. We have never tried sheep.

My ds is allergic to dairy and has never been able to tolerate goat's milk/cheese either. We never tried sheep products.

Try sheep cheese! If I recall correctly, I think the percentages are somewhere around 85% of people allergic to cow milk can tolerate sheep milk, and 65% tolerate goat milk.

Trader Joe's has a nice sheep feta from Israel and Whole Foods has a variety of yummy sheep cheeses. I like their 6 month sheep manchego from Spain.

It it it once every 6 days on a rotation diet to prevent becoming allergic to it--if I eat things more often, I get allergic to them easier.

Dd cannot tolerate cow's milk, soy milk, or goat's milk--the proteins are too similar for her level of allergy. We have never tried sheep.

I have found over the years, my sensitivity to any type of cow/goat milk gets worse. I simply have to take a lactaid pill if I indulge in a "cheesy" treat or pay the consequences later. ;)

I believe it depends on exactly what the allergen is. Ds has a classic IgE allergy to milk. (Some people have digestive problems or other intolerances and also call them "allergies" although it's not an IgE reaction.) The allergist tests him for 3 different types of milk protein: casein, whey, and something else I don't recall right now. Ds is allergic to all 3 proteins in milk. I *think* the rule is that casein allergies cannot tolerate any animal milk and whey allergies can tolerate goat/sheep milk. (I don't recall where I read that, and it would have been a few years ago.)

I believe it depends on exactly what the allergen is. Ds has a classic IgE allergy to milk. (Some people have digestive problems or other intolerances and also call them "allergies" although it's not an IgE reaction.) The allergist tests him for 3 different types of milk protein: casein, whey, and something else I don't recall right now. Ds is allergic to all 3 proteins in milk. I *think* the rule is that casein allergies cannot tolerate any animal milk and whey allergies can tolerate goat/sheep milk. (I don't recall where I read that, and it would have been a few years ago.)

There is a protein in human milk that is called "whey." :confused: I assume it's not the same thing though. Anyone know for sure?

I think sheep's milk is supposed to be the easiest to digest of sheep's, goat's and cow's milk.

Both Rabbit and Tigger had cow's milk intolerances when they were young, but they were always fine with both goat's and sheep's milk. In fact we even found some sheep's milk ice-cream at one point, at which there was much rejoicing!

ETA- Have I killed any kittens?! :001_unsure: