Menu

Reading Hakim's Story of Science as creastionists

Tranquility7

I think I'd like to read Joy Hakim's The Story of Science books with DS, but we are YEC... how blatant is evolution/liberal bias in her science books? Would it be easy to "read around" those bits, or discuss as we go? How frequently does the issue come up? As YEC, would the series be worth reading or would it just be an exercise in constant editing/frustration/disappointment?

It doesn't bash the myths, philosophy, and religion, but it does say it's not science nor should it be used as a basis to explain how the universe works.

I agree. If you are a YEC, I think you will find yourself too far out of step with Hakim's ideas. She is VERY big on the separation of science and religion and makes plain her belief that religion is not a substitute for science.

Tara

Very helpful! Thanks so much for all the input. Sounds like something we need to skip for now...

Read it and explain why you disagree as you go along. That is what a real education is all about in my very humble opinion. Teaching your children to THINK through differing opinions is teaching them critical thinking skills.:001_smile: (said the in kindest tone of voice possible):001_smile:

I'm all for discussing differing opinions, and we read many such books. But frankly DS is only 5, and we really just need a science book right now more than we need constant worldview discussions. Believe me, we have plenty of those already, especially considering DS is only in K ;)

I find the first volume of The Story of Science to show an anti-Christian bias in its treatment of the middle ages. I've passed on the other books in the series for this reason.

I believe the author is Christian. I find her books are very good at showing the interactions of science and religion and politics. I think it's too easy to say it's "anti-Christian". But I think you could fairly say it's anti-"religion-informing-or-influencing-scientific-thought".

But frankly DS is only 5, and we really just need a science book right now more than we need constant worldview discussions. Believe me, we have plenty of those already, especially considering DS is only in K ;)

I'm not a creationist, but I picked up the book from the library to look at last year, and it would have been way too advanced for my son, who was 6 at the time. I can see us starting it around fourth or fifth grade.

perhaps this would be a fun way to introduce science to him: http://books.google.com/books/about/The_story_book_of_science.html?id=U1cIAAAAIAAJ

I printed it as 2 pages per sheet and bound it with a pro-click. Or here is a copy on Amazon with reviews

http://www.amazon.com/Story-Science-Yesterdays-Classics-ebook/dp/B003FGX1A2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1320166015&sr=8-2