Menu

I See Sam Books

eloquacious

My son is in love with Sam and Mit and company, but the print-outs I was getting from Reading Lessons.com aren't formatted properly for a nice booklet. Oh, well. I just ordered sets 3 and 4 from 3rsplus, and I'm excited to see them, but I wonder why all the free online sources for the Sam books only have books 1-52. Clearly the others were written at the same time, as both iseesam.com and 3rsplus.com have the same books in the same order... so why has no one published them online? I so wish I could get my hands on an old set (that is, not one of the reprints from the above publishers) because I would totally make them available. As it is, they are rather expensive, but what can I say? My son reads them and fights off his little brother (18 months) whenever he comes near, saying "No! My Sam Books! These are for BIGGER boys." :)

Ah, I think I just answered my own question... it was Utah State U which expanded the series into more books. I'm still excited to see the new books, though it seems from the previews that there is quite a leap from series 3 to series 4, which features far more text per page. I wonder how students manage that?

• 6 months later...

Hi:

The "I See Sam" books on ReadingLessons.com are formatted correctly if the instructions are followed. Many thousands of teachers on the ReadingA-Z website are using books formatted the same way. Please try again and you'll see how easy these books are to assemble - and they are free.

You may also want to go to ReadingTeacher.com and try the animated, interactive videos of the "I See Sam" series. They are also free!

http://www.readingteacher.com

Edited by FrancisMorgan
spelling correction

Hi:

The "I See Sam" books on ReadingLessons.com are formatted correctly if the instructions are followed. Many thousands of teachers on the ReadingA-Z website are using books formatted the same way. Please try again and you'll see how easy these books are to assemble - and they are free.

You may also want to go to ReadingTeacher.com and try the animated, interactive videos of the "I See Sam" series. They are also free!

http://www.readingteacher.com

I am perfectly aware how to fold them the way they are designed to be folded...but it forms an awkward thick booklet. I went through and reformatted them myself to form a booklet that is double-sided, meaning that the pages aren't folded with blank space on one side of the page. When I formatted them, it was to make them more closely resemble the booklets I bought from 3rsplus.com (cardstock cover, then double-sided pages).

So that last bit sounded a bit snarky, begging your pardon. But here are some photos to illustrate what I mean. Being the formatting/design nerd that I am, I literally went through each and every .pdf and reformatted them, moving pages around, so that I could create these thinner booklets. I know why the booklets on readinglessons.com are formatted as they are: not everyone has the sort of long-arm stapler required to make these books. That being said, I bought one for about $6 and then found out that I could have just gone to my local Staples and asked to borrow theirs for free.

I don't intend to share my work with anyone, because I'm pretty sure there'll be some sort of copyright issue, but if you want to make these versions available on your web site I'd be happy to work with you. I'd have to re-do them because the font you use was unavailable on my computer so Illustrator changed it to a font I did own. Either way, you can see that the problem was not my inability to understand how to fold the booklets you created, merely my desire to have them formatted a different way. Because yes, I am that nerdy.

post-18758-13535086694022_thumb.jpg

post-18758-13535086694505_thumb.jpg

post-18758-13535086694977_thumb.jpg

My 6-year-old son just finished up level 4 this year. I credit Sam with his becoming an independent reader. :)

Yes, there is a bit of a jump between level 3 and 4, we did step back a bit between sets and also do some Starfall and Progressive Phonics (both free!).

Also note, there isn't a seamless transition between the original books and the ones that were added later. The characters and illustration style of both level 3 and 4 are different from the first 2 levels. While my ds did finish them all, he was not as crazy about the characters in level 4 as he was about the characters in the earlier levels.

• 3 months later...

Hi:

We, at ReadingTeacher.com, are planning to provide double-sided books when we can find the time to get it done.

We are also planning new books to the series which use the SAME characters as the first 52 original books.

All 52 of the first unit are now on the ReadingTeacher.com website:

Edited by FrancisMorgan
typo in title

I also looked at these and didn't print them because of the awkward folding/thick booklet issue. I just don't like that and was debating purchasing them from somewhere. I'd debated a Reading A-Z membership as well but if that's true about their format then that won't work for me. Too much paper!