Menu

Resources for bright 9-year-old to learn about computers &/or create own video games?

Happy2BaMom

Ds, 9, recently decided that he wanted to experiment with making his own video game. I've found a site or two online that are free (not necessarily a requirement, but we do need low-cost - $30 or less) but they are kind of hard for him to use (even though they are supposedly designed for children). I think part of the problem is that he needs to know more about computers. So I'm turning to the Hive for ideas on two resources:

1) Good books (or web sites) that teach a kid about computers & maybe some basic programming

2) Any good web sites for kids who want to experiment with creating video games

Thanks!

Try Scratch. It's free and easy to use. A google search will get you all sorts of lesson ideas, if you want to approach it in a structured way.

:iagree:

We're even having a co-op class on scratch next session. My kids love making the their own creatures dressing them and animating them. We haven't ventured into the actual game making area...waiting for our class for that.

My kids use Scratch as well, they love it. My son has made some video games, and he was on a kick for a while making stop motion animation videos using his legos. They were really cool! It's a great program, he is basically teaching it to himself, since I know nothing about programming. My husband is a programmer though, and he says it is a great introduction.

I have listed quite a few resources here. I picked them based on their future value and not just a frivolous return of accomplishment. I assumed if they are interested this early in their education that they may continue with computer technology. Thus, these resources are ones choosen for their logic value. With that said, if you decide to teach a computer course, do not classify it as computers but as computer logic and programming. :)

And I would probably start with Python myself, or Alice.

• 1 month later...