Menu

Math Question

Sophie

Ds loves word problems and basically never makes any mistakes. BUT, he can't write down the addition/subtraction sentence for me, after giving the right answer. I've tried and tried to explain, to show him what to write down, but he doesn't get it. Is this really that important? Can I just let him do his work mentally, without him writing down how he came up with the answer?

My guess is that he's having a little bit of trouble matching the abstract and concrete thought processes. I would personally keep going forward slowly but be prepared to redo or back off material. A slightly more advanced concept might make the whole thing click, or it might just take more time.

I wouldn't hold him back but you might try writing numbers 1-9 (2 sets) and the =,+ & - signs on index cards and playing a game where he makes math sentences. I did things like:

Here is the number 5...please make me 4 different sentences that equal 5 with these numbers 2, 3, 7, 8

We did this a lot when we were learning math facts since she was not that great at writing things down.

Have you looked at any of the visual spatial articles on hoagies or by Linda Silverman? I know these get varying reviews and I am not totally sure if it would fit your situation. However, I have 2 visual spatial kids who could solve complex problems in their head long before they could set up simple computation. The computation came later and it helped that I allowed them to move ahead without being a stickler about computation (even though I really wanted to be a stickler!)

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/visual-spatial.htm

... I wouldn't hold him back either; and I'd make sure to keep him fluent with mental math as he masters the "accounting" of tracking everything on paper. Button stopped doing mental math easily when I hammered in multi-digit addition and forced him to do regrouping; he still hasn't regained his original intuition and fluency with mental problems, he tries to do them in his head like they're on paper. We're working on it, though ...

I think the ability to show his work will come with maturity. I started making my oldest show his work more starting around grade 3 math, IIRC. He's now showing his work pretty well. At 4, I don't think he could have told me how he was finding an answer. I think that's just a developmental thing.