Menu

Would you do High School Science from 1 publisher? Or...

Or would you try to find the absolute best for Physical Science, the absolute best for Biology, the absolute best for chemistry and the absolute best for physics?

I was planning on doing D.I.V.E with the BJU textbooks but another post on another thread got me to wondering if that would truly be the best way to go.

If you think its best to find the absolute best for each year, who can you recommend for Christian Chemistry and Physics?

If I do change things up I think I will do D.I.V.E ICP (with some supplementation from College Physics by Knight, Jones, and Fields) next year still and Shepard Science Biology. What about the other two? Or should I just stick with D.I.V.E and BJU?

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

I do not care about the publisher, I choose what I consider the very best material in each subject for my student.

I am at a loss what, in a secular physics or chemistry curriculum, could possibly be not acceptable to Christians. I understand that there may be issues with biology and Earth science- but Physics :confused: ?

I do not care about the publisher, I choose what I consider the very best material in each subject for my student.

I am at a loss what, in a secular physics or chemistry curriculum, could possibly be not acceptable to Christians. I understand that there may be issues with biology and Earth science- but Physics :confused: ?

There may be nothing in secular books that go against our views. I just honestly do not remember. I has been a LONG time since I ever went through those courses. Even then it was a truly sad public school education that rarely used a textbook or anything much of substance :glare:. I would be more than willing to use a secular program that does not push evolution. Again, that may not even be an issue with physics and chemistry!!

So what would you recommend for chemistry and physics? Again, something rigorous that does not push evolution. My oldest plans on becoming a vet so I plan to do advanced Chemistry and Advanced Biology as well. I am not certain if I will just schedule 2 science courses a year or tailor something as an elective. I have to decide how to do this. Any thoughts?

I am planning on using the text you recommended for next year and am very excited about getting it after the preview and reading some more reviews about it!!

So what would you recommend for chemistry and physics? Again, something rigorous that does not push evolution.

I use Chang General Chemistry: the essential Concepts for chemistry and Knight, Jones and Fields College Physics for algebra based physics.

Evolution is not an issue in phys and chem.

Any introductory college text for non-majors would probably work just fine as a rigorous high school text.

I use Chang General Chemistry: the essential Concepts for chemistry and Knight, Jones and Fields College Physics for algebra based physics.

Any introductory college text for non-majors would probably work just fine as a rigorous high school text.

I am going to use the College Physics in part next year when she does Integrated Chemistry and Physics. Do you think that text would also be enough to do cover to cover after that for physics? Or should I find something else? I am just going to elaborate on the topics in the DIVE ICP topics for 9th grade. She will be doing Physics as a course in itself in 12th.

I am going to use the College Physics in part next year when she does Integrated Chemistry and Physics. Do you think that text would also be enough to do cover to cover after that for physics? Or should I find something else? I am just going to elaborate on the topics in the DIVE ICP topics for 9th grade. She will be doing Physics as a course in itself in 12th.

I am not sure I understand what you want to do with the integrated course and where that text comes in. Of course it is sufficient as a stand alone physics course, it is a college text for biology majors (so not "physics for poets") that is covered in a two semester class.

One thing you may want to think about is if, in 12th grade, she would be ready for, and interested in, a calculus based physics course. Then you would need a different text.

Regentrude, thanks for the recommendation. which version of Chang would you recommend? Is the difference between newer and older version worth the money?

Regentrude, thanks for the recommendation. which version of Chang would you recommend? Is the difference between newer and older version worth the money?

I have not compared the different editions. I am not an expert in chemistry, but it has been my experience with physics text that the changes between editions tend to be largely cosmetic and not in actual content (or, to be facetious: the publisher is out to make more money and that's why they crank out a new edition). Introductory texts do not cover the cutting edge current research but basics that have been around for a long time, so I would not expect any new developments to have a significant impact on the intro texts.

I am always using older editions because they are cheaper.

Did your dd use the accompanying workbook for College Physics? If so, did the problems have full solutions?

Did your dd use the accompanying workbook for College Physics? If so, did the problems have full solutions?

My DD took a class in which the workbooks were used as a supplement.

I can highly recommend the workbooks (and the 2nd edition of the workbooks is better than the 1st and works just fine with the 1st edition text), but there are no solutions. The workbook contains conceptual problems which are not a substitute to working problems from the end of the chapter.

Knight, Jones, Fields is one of the textbooks for which some solutions are available on cramster.com. As much as I hate that website in my capacity as an instructor, it may be a useful resource for somebody who self-studies with the book. I do not know whether all solutions there are correct; I have occasionally encountered incorrect Cramster solutions for other books.