Menu

"e" and "i"

Lots of boys

My oldest ds is 7. We are working through AAS 2 and it is going pretty well. This is really his first formal spelling program as he was in PS for K and 1st. I am coming to realize that he is really struggling with when to spell with an i and when to spell a word with an e (short vowels of course - he can figure out the long ones). Even after really promouncing the sounds very clearly, he finds this a challenge. Is this common or reason for concern at 7?

Thanks

I agree, very common. Steps 4 & 6 from Level 2 can be hard because they also involve the schwa sound, so you may need to spend extra time on those. When I did them I pronounced for spelling & then had my kids repeat the pronunciation before spelling the word as we went through the step. When we got to the review cards, I pronounced it normally and asked them to give me the pronunciation for spelling. If they gave me the wrong pronunciation, I corrected them, had them repeat, and then had them spell the word. I kept the word in the daily review until they could give both the pronunciation and the spelling without extra help.

The author made a video to help with the e/i confusion too. HTH! Merry :-)