Menu

Okay, they are registered. Now what do I do?

So my kiddoes have been homeschooled almost their entire lives. I remarried my ex husband and we all moved. I really wanted to continue homeschooling but I am pregnant now, work over an hour away from home and DH is in grad school so we almost never see him most days which leaves little room for sleep. I am so sad about putting them in school but I feel like I have no choice. The worst part was after registering them and returning home the items I bought from oriental trading co for our bulletin board as well as stickers arrived :( I am trying to make it better by saying I will after school . We will continue with Latin and other enrichment things I just feel like I failed. I will be dropping my hours really soon but I feel like when DH graduates we might be able to pick it back up again. But I don't think that's realistic because they are super excited about going. Sorry about the rant. I don't even have a good reason for feeling this way as long as they are educated I should be happy. I even considered putting them in school before I got remarried but it's not the same. I feel like it was more forced than my choice. I wonder if it's just the hormones being paranoid but my kids are not city kids and we live in a city now. I would rather them not be alienated or beat up. Yes, I am a tad over dramatic as well. But what am I supposed to do with myself until the baby gets here? I will be bored to tears!! Ok done rambling. :D

I've had wonderful experiences volunteering too. Some of the best times of my life.

The fun part of afterschooling for us has been picking books and topics we're interested in and running with that. So look at it as keeping your favorite parts of homeschooling.

We are in a very urban place and the best part of the public school was the social part. They worked very hard to appreciate all types of people and my quirky kids did great and learned lots of social skills. :001_smile:

The fun part of afterschooling for us has been picking books and topics we're interested in and running with that. So look at it as keeping your favorite parts of homeschooling.

Thanks you guys.:D Today went really well. I was practically having a panic attack when I dropped them off. I kept saying "Their okay. Their okay". My husband asked if I was okay and i started crying! Oh well, I am going to try and keep the parts we enjoyed and can't get in school. I hadn't thought of it that way. Thanks for the suggestion. I volunteered my time to the teachers now I will just have to see if they take me up on the offer. I think they will be "okay" though. They are really social kids and the school has a Gifted and Talented program. Plus the it has over 600 kids so the school is used to having children with different backgrounds. We will see. I just needed to ramble though, sort of get my thoughts out.

Your adjustment will be hard. Mine was too, and I think that's pretty normal. Honestly, I think it is WAY harder for mom than for the kids.

Even when we moved ds to a charter school this August, I literally had panic attacks until he started. I still always second guess myself. I think this just means that we care:001_smile:.

But, 2 out of my 3 kids absolutely LOVE school. They are much happier. Even my formerly not liking school child somewhat likes it this year. Like a pp said, not every school is bad. My kids have for the most part had wonderful experiences the past 4 years and even though there are gaps that we have to fill in at home, they do learn a lot.

About your time, don't worry! You will be busy before you know it. I can't ever get everything done. Volunteering is great advice! It is beneficial for the child, for the school, and for you. Through volunteering I have made many new friends, gotten to know the families and children who are friends with my children, and gotten to know the teachers and staff. I know who would be a good fit for teaching my child and who would not.

Best of luck!