Menu

Geocachers! What kind of handheld GPS do you have?

Our family is about to embark on the world of geocaching! We're really excited, but first we need to choose a handheld GPS. We don't have a smart phone.

We're thinking we'll just go with the least expensive Garmin, but I thought I'd check if the Hive had any insight. Heaven forbid I make a decision without checking with y'all :001_smile:.

We geocache with a Garmin also. I don't love it but it works. I find it to be mildly confusing sometimes. I wish it was as smart as my iPhone. We tried using our phone a couple of years ago and they just weren't quite accurate enough. I've heard our newer phones might do the job. That would be nice. I'd be slightly concerned that my phone isn't as rugged though. You know, dropping it and all that. :)

We have a Garmin eTrex H, which has served us well. We also have a Garmin eTrex (not H), which we don't like much. (Not as accurate and takes longer to find the satellite signal.)

Since we got Android phones in June, we've used those almost exclusively for the convenience of logging the find on-site and not needing to plan ahead. I keep meaning to try them side-by-side with our Garmin eTrex H to compare accuracy.

I don't know about other states, but I know here in Minnesota many of the state parks have GPS units you can check out for free to use for geocaching. You could see if the state parks in your area do something similar, and that might give you a better feel for what kind of unit you want to buy.

Our family is about to embark on the world of geocaching! We're really excited, but first we need to choose a handheld GPS. We don't have a smart phone.

We're thinking we'll just go with the least expensive Garmin, but I thought I'd check if the Hive had any insight. Heaven forbid I make a decision without checking with y'all :001_smile:.

I have an eTrex H. It has served me well for many, many finds. Its only drawback: if you buy it, you'll have to hunt for connector cables from an aftermarket seller unless you want to load all your caches by hand. That's no big deal if you plan to cache occasionally, but if you really get into the game, it will end up being a total pain.

I suggest spending a few more $ upfront for a newer Garmin that comes with connector cables so you can download info directly from geocaching.com. Your total cost will be about the same in the end, but it's SO much easier to get everything you need together in the same box all at one time.