Menu

What to do with dance costumes after the recital?

This was DD8's first year in dance classes. We just finished having the recitals and we now have 3 dance costumes that she'll never need again. I LOVE that she loves dance class and I do want her to be able to perform in front of an audience but this expenditure for clothing to be worn twice seems ridiculous and a big waste.

Any tips/hints/guidance? :bigear:

Thanks,

Pegasus

I know, it seems so wasteful, doesn't it? The whole recital in costumes was the reason we quit dance after just a year. My darling, innocent daughter was made to "tart up" and tap to a stripper song! Let Me Entertain You is still a stripper song, even if you change a few of the words, imo. I know they have to wear makeup so you can see them on stage, but it was really rather sad to see them flinging around the feather boas--at least the dress was somewhat modest.

You can use the costumes for dressing up, or give them to a local preschool--I bought costumes to play "fairies and princesses" from a mom whose daughter danced for years--really lovely things. Ours, not so much.

We have used ours for both dress up and halloween costumes. This year is also our last year of dance, the other moms are really stressed out about the upcoming recitals and they are rubbing off on me - I'm done. Fortunately the girls are ready to move on, too.

Once again, a reason I love our little ballet school. Many of the costumes can be re-worn as every day clothes or worn to dance class (though not ballet classes, where there's a strict dress code), and the prices are kept to $35/costume. Nobody looks like a junior ho', and so many of the items can be reused.

For costumes that can't be worn otherwise, they go in the dress-up box or are donated.