Menu

Moving companies?

We are looking at moving back to TN, and are going to use a moving company this time.

Problem is, I have no clue who to use. Trying to find reviews online has been frustrating. One company will be rated best on one site and horrible on another.

I am getting an estimate from one locally owned company that I couldn't find any BAD reviews on. Anyone have recommendations for another? Or any ones to stay away from?

We have had movers twice before, but both times they were hired by dh's company and it was 11+ years ago.

This is my moving PSA. See if your current homeowners insurance covers the move. Our HOI included full replacement coverage over a move (at no extra cost).

Sometimes I think it's a crap shoot. We picked a moving company that had great reviews. They had done cross country and around New York City moves. We figured that a move from one free standing house to another across the country would have to be easier than moving from one 5 floor walk up in NYC to another ;) We were wrong.

One of the problems is that they'll trade loads if you're moving cross-country, and the folks you start with likely won't be the ones that unload.

In some ways your final driver will be the key. If there's a problem, they're supposed to be the one that will resolve it. When I moved cross-country, I had a wonderful one that took it personally when one box went missing even though he was the fourth one to handle my load. They eventually found it 50 miles away, and he drove it out to me on his day off!