Menu

How old for SoTW?

asmall

I was looking for something for History. I like the Story of the World, but if I started this with my girls I would like to start with the first vol. My oldest is 11 and in 6th grade. Is this to old to start this? :confused: If we continued with this we wouldn't finish with the books untill she was in 10th. What do you think? Is there something else I could consider?

Thanks,

AL

My 10YO already thinks SOTW is too babyish. DS8 is okay with it, but even he asks sometimes if the author "realizes I'm not a little kid."

For DS10 we follow History Odyssey, and fill in with the Oxfoed Encyclopedia (longer entries) some readings from SWB's adult series, and plenty of library books. There is a nice reference series by publisher UXB that is age appropriate for middle school, but it is for libraries, so assembling a complete set is a bit of a nightmare, but it is nice reading.

My 10 year old doesn't remember much from when I did SOTW with my 12 and 13 year olds, so he's doing SOTW, but at an accelerated pace (SOTW 3 and 4 this year) for an overview. While my older dc might tolerate it as a jumping off point, it certainly wouldn't be nearly enough for them even now. If I were interested in lining things up, I'd probably use the adult SWB series with them and try to correlate with SOTW, along with severl World History Encyclopedias, and probably some research projects ... but none of that would be particularly ready to open and go.

We're doing SOTW with 10/11 year olds in our co-op; my daughter listened to it when she was in 5th? I really think the cds are the secret; even my husband and I learn or remember points when we're hearing them. Then, out of the projects, there's usually at least one that we consider fun. You could have them do a lapbook or timeline, or some other recording of the info. Also, after reading, they can pick the Kingfisher's encyclopedia or another book about some info in the chapter. :) Wish the one for highschoolers/adults was entertaining enough to be read by Jim Weiss :) Not the same ;) But of course.... that's how it goes :)

*I* enjoy reading SotW, so I really don't think anyone is too old for it. The chapters are short and give a basic and memorable overview - that is all. The key would be, I think, to choose more advanced supplemental reading for older students. (Or, if you prefer, think of SotW as supplemental overview reading, and choose something more in-depth to consider your core.)

We are doing SOTW and AG together (PK, 1st, 2nd, and 5th) but my 10yo then does additional work using Human Odyssey and Kingfisher. As PP have said, SOTW is not enough for that age. I thought DD would be bored with SOTW, but she really does enjoy it. It gives her the basics before jumping into the other books. (We had skimmed over ancients in the past.) I also found out that she loves joining in with all the hands on activities that the younger kids are doing ;)