Menu

Debating on whether or not to try an iodine supplement...

I've read various articles arguing both sides of iodine and have been hesitant to supplement iodine because of the possibility that it can cause or aggravate thyroid issues, even though most of us are deficient. My TSH tested at 3.2 and the endo. said it should be 1 to 2 and that I would probably benefit from meds, but wants to wait 3 months while I am starting metformin for insulin resistance. I've had swollen feet since July and have hair issues as well as the fatigue and maybe other symptoms, too. I don't go back to the endo. until Jan. to check on how the metformin is working and then possibly go on thyroid meds. He said I am borderline, but I think is hesitant because putting me on meds means me being on meds for the rest of my life possibly. In the meantime, I'm debating on whether or not to try this natural thyroid supplement http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/detoxadine.php just to see if it will help my symptoms. However, I'm hesitant because I don't want to throw gasoline on a fire so to speak. WWYD? Should I just wait until Jan.? I really want my swollen feet to go away and my hair to be better. :) I am all for natural methods for dealing with health, but I also balance it out on issues that are more complicated. I know I'm a big girl and can make my own decisions, but I would really love some help thinking through this, especially from those with thyroid issues. Thanks a bunch!

I can't keep it straight about what the numbers mean.

I have a friend who is hypo (slow). She takes the iodine and has excellent results. Iodine will cause the (I can't remember which one) gland that makes TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) to produce more which in turn speeds up the thyroid. You do not want to over do it.

I on the other hand have a hyper (fast) thyroid. Taking iodine exasperates my symptoms. But I take a very low dose for a week every few weeks to get all of the bromide out of my system. (I drank gallons and gallons of Mt. Dew for decades.)

Have you read this book? It has a lot of good information in it.

I can't keep it straight about what the numbers mean.

I have a friend who is hypo (slow). She takes the iodine and has excellent results. Iodine will cause the (I can't remember which one) gland that makes TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) to produce more which in turn speeds up the thyroid. You do not want to over do it.

I on the other hand have a hyper (fast) thyroid. Taking iodine exasperates my symptoms. But I take a very low dose for a week every few weeks to get all of the bromide out of my system. (I drank gallons and gallons of Mt. Dew for decades.)

That's what I've understood, too. I read that China doesn't have iodine def. or thyroid issues because of all the iodine in their diet of sea veggies and food. Thanks for the book recommendation. I hope the library has it.

I was taking kelp pills for a while before my Hashimoto's was diagnosed, so I sometimes wonder if the iodine is what flared my thyroid.

I would recommend looking up an iodine patch test (I think that's what it's called?). My doctor swabbed my arm with some kind of iodine and said to pay attention to how long it took to disappear. The rule was that if it disappeared in a certain time -12 hours? - it meant that my body was "soaking up" the iodine and therefore needed it. That patch of iodine stayed on my arm for DAYS, so I took that to mean that my body didn't need any extra!

I don't know if it's a medically accepted way of testing, but it's easy to do if you want something to help make your decision.

Dianne, do you eat a lot of soy foods? (And remember soybean oil and isolated soy protein find their way into LOTS of foods!) If so, I would start by cutting out the soy completely. Soy has compounds that mess up your thyroid and block your absorption of minerals, including iodine. These compounds can be removed by extended fermentation, but natto tends to be unpopular with western tastebuds. I'd just avoid it completely.

If that's not a factor, then I think that I would start with sea vegetables before I would supplement. I go through periods where I absolutely CRAVE those spicy strips of crunchy sea veggies that you get at Asian markets. I'll go through a container of those the way most people go through potato chips. I think it's my body's way of telling me that I'm low on iodine. And then, once I've replenished, I have no desire for them again for awhile. But if you don't like the taste of those, you can buy some sea veggies in flake form that you can just sprinkle on other foods. If you put those into soup or stir-fry, you'll hardly notice the taste. They even come in the same handy little containers that salt and spices come in.

I'm so NOT an expert on this topic. Those are just the things that I've read/heard about. Good luck!

Swollen feet and hair loss here, too. You have my great sympathy.

I've been taking the iodine supplement for, I dunno, three or four months, as well as working with a new doctor on meds (long story). The swelling is finally down today (it was down with the Synthroid, but last time I requested Armour, so the doc lowered the dosage so we can work back up...::heavy sigh::) So I go back on the 22nd for labs, see the doc on the 25th.

I'm gonna keep taking the iodine, 'cuz I'm just like that.:D

We had some goats with an iodine deficiency. They were on the brink of death when we figured out what it was. We poured iodine on them daily for a month and they all recovered. But when we put it even on the white goats, it was like disappearing ink.

I believe that the deficiency is caused by something in our water. A mineral that binds something in the body perhaps....I don't know, but I plan to have it tested.

I realized that I was having many of the same symptoms of low thyroid function, and iodine deficiency. So I poured iodine on my arm, and it disappeared instantly.

I also bought some kelp, I need to remember to take it.

Swollen feet and hair loss here, too. You have my great sympathy.

I've been taking the iodine supplement for, I dunno, three or four months, as well as working with a new doctor on meds (long story). The swelling is finally down today (it was down with the Synthroid, but last time I requested Armour, so the doc lowered the dosage so we can work back up...::heavy sigh::) So I go back on the 22nd for labs, see the doc on the 25th.

I'm gonna keep taking the iodine, 'cuz I'm just like that.:D

Did you take the iodine before your meds or with your meds? Do you know if your swelling went away with the iodine supp. or the meds? Also, did you find anything to help your swelling (diuretics, foods, supplements, more water, etc.) or is it just a thyroid thing that won't go away without meds or with time and meds or never?? Ugh.

Edited by Dianne-TX
additional question

I was taking kelp pills for a while before my Hashimoto's was diagnosed, so I sometimes wonder if the iodine is what flared my thyroid.

I would recommend looking up an iodine patch test (I think that's what it's called?). My doctor swabbed my arm with some kind of iodine and said to pay attention to how long it took to disappear. The rule was that if it disappeared in a certain time -12 hours? - it meant that my body was "soaking up" the iodine and therefore needed it. That patch of iodine stayed on my arm for DAYS, so I took that to mean that my body didn't need any extra!

I don't know if it's a medically accepted way of testing, but it's easy to do if you want something to help make your decision.

I googled this and found some info that said to just buy some betadine iodine at the drug store and put a 2x2 patch on your inside arm or stomach and watch it for 24 hours. Sounds easy enough. I might try it. I've searched threads on here for thyroid and found one post that said she supplemented kelp for years and then found out she had Hashimoto's and wondered if the kelp supp. could have caused problems. Who knows. Thyroid is so confusing to me.

ETA: Duh! Your thread mentioned kelp and Hashimoto's! I've read too many and can't keep track of them! :-p

Dianne, do you eat a lot of soy foods? (And remember soybean oil and isolated soy protein find their way into LOTS of foods!) If so, I would start by cutting out the soy completely. Soy has compounds that mess up your thyroid and block your absorption of minerals, including iodine. These compounds can be removed by extended fermentation, but natto tends to be unpopular with western tastebuds. I'd just avoid it completely.

If that's not a factor, then I think that I would start with sea vegetables before I would supplement. I go through periods where I absolutely CRAVE those spicy strips of crunchy sea veggies that you get at Asian markets. I'll go through a container of those the way most people go through potato chips. I think it's my body's way of telling me that I'm low on iodine. And then, once I've replenished, I have no desire for them again for awhile. But if you don't like the taste of those, you can buy some sea veggies in flake form that you can just sprinkle on other foods. If you put those into soup or stir-fry, you'll hardly notice the taste. They even come in the same handy little containers that salt and spices come in.

I'm so NOT an expert on this topic. Those are just the things that I've read/heard about. Good luck!

I don't eat soy. I am estrogen dominant, due to PCOS, so soy was a no-no a long time ago. I've never heard of those crunchy strips. I have this recipe for "green water" and make it occasionally. It is a live enzyme water that includes water, wakame, parsley, peppermint oil and stevia. I can barely tolerate the slight "pond" taste to the water, but I gulp it down. It's not that bad, but I have a sensitive taster. Do the crunchy strips have that pond-scum taste, for lack of a better description?

Did you take the iodine before your meds or with your meds? Do you know if your swelling went away with the iodine supp. or the meds? Also, did you find anything to help your swelling (diuretics, foods, supplements, more water, etc.) or is it just a thyroid thing that won't go away without meds or with time and meds or never?? Ugh.

I'm reposting this for Ellie. I'm interested in knowing if your swelling got better with meds, iodine, both, or neither? :)

Do the crunchy strips have that pond-scum taste, for lack of a better description?

Well, they do taste like something that came from the ocean. It doesn't seem all that strong to me, but I really like fish and seafood. If you don't, then it might be more problematic. I get the spicy ones because the pepper seems to overpower the seaweed. :)

I'm just curious if you have ever tried a lower-carb diet for treating your PCOS? I do low-carb for other reasons, but I hear a lot of people talking about how much it helps PCOS. Also, since PCOS is a hormonal imbalance, is that at all related to your thyroid problems? Just pondering and "thinking out loud" here.

Well, they do taste like something that came from the ocean. It doesn't seem all that strong to me, but I really like fish and seafood. If you don't, then it might be more problematic. I get the spicy ones because the pepper seems to overpower the seaweed. :)

I'm just curious if you have ever tried a lower-carb diet for treating your PCOS? I do low-carb for other reasons, but I hear a lot of people talking about how much it helps PCOS. Also, since PCOS is a hormonal imbalance, is that at all related to your thyroid problems? Just pondering and "thinking out loud" here.

Yes, low carb is best for PCOS. I am trying to be that and mainly just have a diet of meat, veggies, fruits, etc., no grains, breads, sugar, etc. It is HARD. I keep trudging ahead, though. My endo. said thyroid and PCOS are not related. (shoulder shrug)?

I'm reposting this for Ellie. I'm interested in knowing if your swelling got better with meds, iodine, both, or neither? :)

It's hard to say whether the swelling is gone (yes, it's gone. Woohoo!) because of the iodine or because of the meds.

I had been off any meds from, oh, March through...July? I started taking the iodine around the same time--maybe a month before--that I finally got back on meds (long story). The nex script for meds was 200 thingies of Sythroid. Last month I started Armour, and the doc dropped down to 60 since it was a new drug, and you're supposed to work your way up slowly, I guess. I've also worked up to 4 iodine tabs a day, which is a truckload of iodine. I'm hoping my symptoms will improve (I'd like to see some weight loss, and some hair growth, KWIM?). I had labs done yesterday, and will go in Tuesday to see how things are (haven't noticed any change in symptoms except for the swelling).

:iagree: I was about to recommend this. Although I haven't read it yet, I've read lots of excerpts. He really knows his stuff.

You may find these threads helpful.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312556&highlight=iodoral

I posted info on Iodoral (which I absolutely love - you can read reviews on amazon) from post 41 on in that thread. That entire thread is about PCOS.

IODORAL.jpg

Another thread on hair loss.

You may also want to get tested for hashimoto's, if you are positive, i would really urge you to be careful with the iodine. Iodine will flare the condition up if it is an autoimmune thyroid condition. In that case then doing things to help modulate the immune system will be helpful. Hope this helps.

A consideration - Most salts are not iodized salts. Check the label and add a salt with iodine. Add seafood to your diet. Add more milk or dairy products - yogurt and mozerella cheese. Eat more eggs - egg yolks specifically. Consume more strawberries! Restrict your consumption of processed foods. They use salt, but not iodized salt. Remember your heart. :) And as kelp was mentioned, any sea vegetable is great too.

I would opt for the dietary changes before I supplement.

Consider that potassium iodide is used to prevent cancer or treat radioactive exposure. I would consult a professional as to what type and kind of supplement. Potassium iodide is on the market as a food supplement, but should not be used in this manner. Healthcare strongly advocates not using this supplement to treat iodine deficiencies.