Menu

Math is not supposed to be BORING!

I love math. Not textbook math, but real world math. I have a sewing business and I use math every day. I love to cook and I use math every day. I love to shop ( :tongue_smilie: ) and I use math every day. I am having a hard time making my 4th grader sit down and do math work in a book with no connection to the real world where it can be real and interesting.

Any suggestions? I feel like I really suck at this homeschooling thing. I have so many ideas on how it could be so cooooool, but the need to do bookwork makes it so uninteresting. :(

Personally, I think bookwork is perfectly interesting. Nothing wrong with explaining fractions while you cut the pizza or figuring up area while you plan to paint a room, but in the end, I could not have taught my children math consistently and well without a logical program that includes sitting down and writing answers on a page. YMMV, of course.

That is what I worry about. THat I won't be able to teach her what she needs to know without a book. But she doesn't think like me. I get math, it just makes sense, even on paper. She has to have it put into practice.

Don't take offense if bookwork is your thing. :) We've only been doing this a month and are totally still trying to figure it out. Are there math programs out there that show a person how to do real math or are they all paper work?

That is what I worry about. THat I won't be able to teach her what she needs to know without a book. But she doesn't think like me. I get math, it just makes sense, even on paper. She has to have it put into practice.

Don't take offense if bookwork is your thing. :) We've only been doing this a month and are totally still trying to figure it out. Are there math programs out there that show a person how to do real math or are they all paper work?

Why would you need to teach her what she knows without a book?

I use Math-U-See. Every lesson starts by demonstrating a given concept with manipulative materials that are similar to lego blocks (or other materials for fractions). The point is to understand what math means and then translate that into 4+6=10 or whatever language of written math.

I have sometimes expanded on something on my own, such as playing "store," where they pretend to buy things using only nickels (counting by 5's) or something similar. Overall, though, I could not have come up with a cohesive plan to logically proceed through math if I was trying to do it using only environmental math experiences. :001_smile:

I haven't used them yet (they should be arriving Friday), but the Life of Fred series might be something she would like. It's math taught in story form with real life application. The samples I've read online are funny, and yet teach solid math.

From what I understand, many people use them along with another curriculum but some use them as a stand alone. I haven't decided yet how I will use it, but I just know that for my oldest, Saxon is not cutting it.

Math on the Level might be what you are looking for, as it uses real life to teach math concepts. There is a record book to keep track of concepts covered, and you do five review questions a day. There is a yahoo group, and the author is very good about answering questions.

I love math. Not textbook math, but real world math. I have a sewing business and I use math every day. I love to cook and I use math every day. I love to shop ( :tongue_smilie: ) and I use math every day. I am having a hard time making my 4th grader sit down and do math work in a book with no connection to the real world where it can be real and interesting.

Any suggestions? I feel like I really suck at this homeschooling thing. I have so many ideas on how it could be so cooooool, but the need to do bookwork makes it so uninteresting. :(

Does your child's math book have word problems in it? Those are an important part of math learning - they are where you put the math you've learned to work. They represent real life.

You can also look for math activity books in the library. There are tons of them that have really fun activities to do, in addition to your regular math book program. They make the book concepts come alive.

That is what I worry about. THat I won't be able to teach her what she needs to know without a book.

Why is that a worry?

Edited by Colleen in NS

All those games look great! In the homeschooling world, would those count as actually working on math? or just as fun extra-curricular?

She loves to sew, and cook and read. We do math with those but I worry it isn't enough.

I'm not sure I understand if you're already using a math curriculum and don't like it or if you don't use a math curriculum, don't want to, but worry that you can't teach math without one. :confused: