Menu

another homeschooling while working thread

I was hired "on the spot" for a job through the holidays. I'm excited, but just a little worried about our homeschooling over the next few months.

I'm posting here instead of general board because my boys are 14 and 16 you all understand better. KWIM?

I did ask for afternoon and evening hours so we can homeschool in the mornings. We can shift our "start time" to 8am instead of 9am. I don't know how many hours per week I'll work... 30 or more close to Christmas, I think. I should be home at 9pm every night so I'll get a good night's sleep.

Most of the boys work is independent. I am "teaching" and "grading" math and writing. And, I had planned on some "reading only" (continuing math of course) in December.

I'm excited about the job. We NEED the money. And the preliminary schedule looks do-able in theory.

Sigh.:tongue_smilie:

I'm not even sure if I have a question.

:tongue_smilie:

I think I just need support and encouragement from others that work and homeschool teenagers.

:chillpill:

Full time here myself. (2nd shift - 2:30 to 11:00pm) so kids are only alone for 3 hours till hubby gets home. Ages of kids are: 16, 13 1/2, 12

Everything will be fine. Yes it will be hard and things will work out. Hang in there!!

Also make sure you and your hubby reconnect on the weekends. If both of you have activities that is separate from each other then drop them (Both of you!!). Marriage is very important part of your life and homeschooling. So it is very important that both of you focus on each other when you are available for each other esp on weekends.

Holly

I work about 25 hours per week as a college instructor. I have seven hours of class and four hours of tutoring where I have to be present, plus a few hours in my office for students to stop by; so I am usually on campus for 18 hours per week. I go in five days a week, teach an 8 am class on three days. I can do all my prep and grading at home.

It works really well. My kids are independent. They come to work with me the one long day when I have to be gone from 7:30am to 4pm. The other days, they work at home. I either come home for lunch, or am home for a couple of hours before going to work.

With your schedule of being home in the morning for schooling it would work even better.

Good luck to you!

I worked 20hrs/wk until ds was 12 and have worked 30hrs/wk since then. I've worked from home for the last 9 years. It's a juggle. My son needs daily checking up on or he will let all sorts of things slide. YMMV.

But, don't worry at all. Things may get behind in the short term, but you'll have plenty of time second semester to catch back up if necessary.

Congratulations on the job.

I worked full time until this spring when I downsized -- still working 30+ hours per week. It is hard -- especially to stay on top of making sure assignments are done. My biggest challenge has been to not let the stress of my job or the intensity to transfer over to impatience and crabbiness when talking to my son about school work -- especially if he was slacking. I regret harsh words said as I was trying to get out the door... Be well, stay organized, remember to have fun times together too ;) Never underestimate the smiles you can get from a simple game of "Go Fish!"

Aloha,

Kristin

Ha! I'm struggling big time! I do think it depends on your personality. For me, balancing hsing and managing our home is a challenge. Add to that working outside the home is.... brutal.:001_huh: I have found it takes a great deal of planning, organization and incredible time management-all of which are weaknesses for me. Of course!!:lol:

First of all, congratulations! Jobs are a scarce commodity (at least, here in NW Ohio they are) so I'm very happy for you!

I have always worked part-time -- 27 hours per week -- and homeschooled our daughter, now 17. I taught her on Mondays, Fridays and sometimes (dare I say it?) Saturdays too. She did her "seat work" the days I worked. She has turned out to be a very organized and independent learner -- and those traits were what I hoped for her. Organization and a "do it now" attitude are two keys that have made this work for us.

One thing that has really helped is this: because I have a job, I am not expected to be the "chief cook and bottle-washer" at home. My dh and my dd take turns cooking on the days I work, as well as doing laundry and any other housework that may be needed during that time. Working as a team helps us all keep our sanity (well, most of the time ;)).

Good luck!

Edited by Laura in OH

Thanks for all the encouragement and a glimpse at reality.

I only work 3 days this week so I'll be able to adjust more gradually than I first thought.

And, it is only "guaranteed" through the holidays. But, I'll need to find something else IF it doesn't continue in January.

Ds14 cooked for us last night. Yesterday was my first day. (It was great, but I had an almost migraine last night... not from the work...but just from being exhausted over several things.) All the dishes, pots, pans from last night are still sitting in the kitchen now and it is almost NOON.

I will be writing out new chore charts this week!!!!

It is good to see all of you that work and homeschool!

Thanks!