Menu

*+*Does anyone make.....

mom2agang

Their own unit studies? I'm tired of buying lessons I don't use and a bunch of books I could just get from the library. I also hate doing a WHOLE yr of one topic. I would love to pick when we learn things because I'm tired of learning about bugs when we have over 300" of snow on the ground. I've looked into Konos but that's a lot of money. I'm thinking of buying a book "Unit studies made easy" by Valerie Bendt. Has anyone else done this? Good books to read or webpages?

I've only designed about 1 or 2 studies for my family. It was one week plans. I don't do that anymore. It was more work that I was willing to do.

I wonder if using one of Amanda Bennett's One Week Unit Studies from Download N Go series might help you design other ones for your family's interest?

Take a look at some of the table of contents online from that series to see how she does a 5 day unit study. Maybe it will help you inspire your own?

http://www.unitstudy.com/DownloadNGoIndividualStudies.html

I was having keyboard issues.... I also intended to say that she has 4 week studies as well that might help you design unit studies for more grade ranges. the download n go series of one week studies is for K-4. I'm not saying buy all of those.. just saying, that might be a model to work from to design your own that are only 4 week instead of full year.

-crystal

Edited by cbollin

I did unit studies for the Middle Ages last year. I ended up not liking any of the history curriculums for Middle Ages, so I made up our own little units. For 6 weeks we did Dragons, I picked out all the books related to dragons and divided them out to read for 6 weeks. I found tons of free worksheets and narration pages online to go with each of our studies.

Our other themes were Knights, Castles and Cathedrals, The Plagues and Crusades, Robin Hood, and the Vikings.

I divided Plagues and Crusades into 3 weeks each so we could briefly cover both.

I figure we will come around to the middle ages again, and we can cover different topics. I don't think setting up your own units is too difficult at all. There are even free unit study pages for helping to organize your units.

Hi,

I use Konos. I purchased volume 1 for $28ppd. I got volume 2 in the latest edition for $25ppd! You don't need brand new books. It does require planning but if you want to make your own units...you will be planning anyway. I have also used Fiar and will be using BYFiar in between Konos units just to change it up a bit.

Spending a full year on the same topic would kill our joy. My kids beg to do Konos.

Penny

I am working that way. I think as I homeschool longer I feel more comfortable and it evolves. I have spines for History and Science, but I am not loving either of them so I am pulling together my own materials, field trips, library books, and projects together for both of them. It is working out well and gives me more confidence that I can even do more next year.