Menu

Looking for information on Adult ADD

After much research, I've determined that this might be my problem, not being lazy and unfocused. (There is a book by that title, right?). So, I'm wondering if any of you have experience with this and, if so, what has worked best. I do NOT have hyperactivity and I have been treating depression for YEARS.

TIA

After much research, I've determined that this might be my problem, not being lazy and unfocused.

has this and we just found out a year ago why he just couldn't finish/stay interested to completion for things!

I tell you that the meds have worked wonders for him! :) I never thought he would have ADD, but that's what it was and the meds have really turned his life around; therefore, turning all our lives around. Seriously.

I hate the idea of him taking Adderall, but it has just done wonders. So, I'm a believer now.

I self-treated with caffeine for years, but then quit that for heart palpitations. So, now I am just dealing with it. I have learned how to make myself act "normally" at most times, and how to deal with what happens when I can't quite get there. That's what's worked best for me.

A good book for homeschool moms is If I'm Diapering the Watermelon, Where'd I leave the Baby (Put the baby? something like that...) She talks about coping strategies moms can use to manage their own ADD (she is the author of How to Get Your Kids Off the Refrigerator and on to Learning, about kiddos with ADD.)

I'm going to read on those websites, and...caffeine??!!!?? I weaned myself off of that in June. hmmm What does the caffeine do for you all? It tends to make me bearish so I'm not sure. I'll have to look into it though.

Thanks for the info so far. More welcome!!!!!!!!!!

If you are ADD then stimulants help calm down your brain. Most of the medications for ADD are stimulants or uppers. They won't calm down a "normal" person, only someone who is ADD. Caffeine is a mild stimulant and works in much the same way as meds do. Although I will say my ADD friends who choose to take meds say they work much better. My one friend who recently went on Ritalin for the first time said the difference in her thinking was as big of a difference as there is in her sight when she puts on her glasses.

Gotta run out the door, but wanted to quickly post a website where you will find lots of useful info to get you started. Dr. Amen is a respected psychiatrist, who offers suggestions about diet and exercise, natural and herbal supplements, coaching, strategies for success, and stimulant medications. You'll find a lot of information here

HTH a bit