Menu

more PSAT questions

Our 10th grader is taking the PSAT in the morning. We haven't looked at anything in preparation for it and today he asked me a couple of questions that I don't know the answer to!

First, can they use the same type of graphing calculator as approved for the SAT?

Second, is there a guessing penalty?

Thanks!!

Having him take a section or two of the practice test they have in the booklet they give you when you sign up is a good idea even for 10th graders. That way they don't spend time with directions or worry about types of questions or that sort of thing. Each section is only 25 minutes long (30 minutes for writing). I'm not sure I would do all 5 sections the night before the actual test unless they really wanted to. I had my guy do it on the weekend and he told me he was glad he did.

We had to go to a local high school to pick up a test booklet. Our PSAT registration was online with our umbrella school, but getting the booklet was odd..

anyway... here is a link to some samples and practice questions and hints

http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/psat/prep.html

have fun... my 10th grader is doing this tomorrow also.

-crystal

The writing skills section is 30 minutes. But there is no essay section :)

http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/psat/about/ontest.html

Writing Skills

One 30-minute writing section = 39 questions

14 Identifying sentence errors

20 Improving sentences

5 Improving paragraph questions

These multiple-choice questions on writing skills measure a student's ability to express ideas effectively in standard-written English, to recognize faults in usage and structure, and to use language with sensitivity to meaning.

Edited by cbollin
adding link

Thanks everyone. I did have him follow the link and read the sample questions. We probably shouldn't have signed him up to take it b/c we have been incredibly busy and not prepping has been our only option. Oh well, it will good for him to have an idea of what to expect next yr.

Dd did not prep for the PSAT at all the first year she took it. It is a great way to find out where they are at.

Dd did not prep for the PSAT at all the first year she took it. It is a great way to find out where they are at.

:lol: Oh, I already have a good idea. He'll score close to perfect on the math sections and won't do well on the critical thinking/writing sections b/c he is a slow reader and he will run out of time. :tongue_smilie:

I just don't want him to get discouraged, which I am afraid he might.

:lol: Oh, I already have a good idea. He'll score close to perfect on the math sections and won't do well on the critical thinking/writing sections b/c he is a slow reader and he will run out of time. :tongue_smilie:

Who knows? He might surprise you. I thought my guy wouldn't have time to finish as he's a slow processor (both math and reading) and he finished each section of the practice test without a hitch. He didn't finish close to perfect on anything, but he beat our school averages (for juniors) sometimes by over 10 - 15 points. I've been talking that up since he's a sophomore.

I'm not a big fan of doing a lot of prep as a sophomore. My main goal in having my guy do the practice tests was to get used to the pace.

I expect him to do a little bit worse on the actual test due to nerves. Hopefully the nerves will be less of an issue next year.

May it go well for everyone testing today!

This is the situation as well with my 10th grader. We've been doing a little "light" prep this last month or so, doing a couple of questions a day. This past weekend he took the whole practice test, and he did run out of time on both the CR & W sections. What he answered, he did well on. So this week, we're working on doing a whole CR or W section a day, and I'm telling him to work on improving his speed. Yesterday, he got all but one of the writing questions done, so he's making progress. We'll see where he is come test day. I hope he does well, but I'm not holding out hope for NM next year because the cut-off in our state is ridiculously high. I still think the PSAT is good practice for learning how to take a pressure-filled, timed test.

Best wishes to all the dc taking the test today & on Saturday!

Brenda