Menu

Basement seepage issue?

Hey guys,

I am trying to prove to a mutual acquaintance that this homeschool board really knows non-homeschooling stuff. Can you help?

Our friend wrote: Our basement-wet issues are more a water table issue (water seeping up from underneath) than a coming-in-through-the-walls issue. There is a sump pump currently installed, but the basement floor is uneven so water pools in a number of other places too. [Her husband] was thinking we could install another sump pump and cut drainage channels to direct the water properly. I have my doubts as to the effectiveness of that (especially since no matter how much we pump, we're not going to actually lower the neighborhood's water table) and would prefer a solution that didn't absolutely rely on electricity, if such a thing exists. Ideas are welcome.

Do you have any ideas?

We had a similar issue and solved it in a rather expensive manner. We dug out the foundation and installed drainage tile at the footing to take the water away from the foundation. It cost us more money because we had a local contractor come in with an excavator to do it.They could dig it out by hand but they'd have to make sure not to dig below the footing. It dries out the surrounding earth and makes it unstable, compromising the foundation.

It's a lot more work then what the husband was planning but there are no worries about electricity and it's a permanent fix.

We had exactly the same issue, including the sump pump. We solved it permanently by digging a french drain all along the side of the house. We hired day laborers to do the digging, with supervision by my FIL. We have had no seepage since, although all our neighbors have in the last couple of years.

I think my drainage tile and your french drain are the same things. Best thing we ever did for that house.

I was going to say a French drain too. AFAIK that is the only really permanent, effective thing to do.

A lot of times older houses had them originally, but because they were made out of porous tile at that time, after about 40 years they start to break down and need to be replaced.

Similar, I think. Ours is dug deep (4 feet? 6 feet? I can't remember) and is filled with pea-gravel. There is a plastic drainage hose at the bottom with holes in it for water to fill and then disperse gradually.

Yup. I think the contractor also put landscaping fabric over the whole works before filling it in to keep out roots.

French drains or evaluate overall drainage around the outside of house. My parent's house had a driveway that sloped down to the house. The put a drain near the bottom that move the water away from the house and didn't have any issues after that.

Check where the gutters are draining to. What the slope of the land. It is 100 times better to take care of the issue outside before the water gets to the house.

Not sure if you are still looking for answers. Has your friend tried DryLock? We painted it on our basement walls and it is great. They also make a crack filling product that is AMAZING! You can even use it on an active leak. I put it all around the edges of our floor where the wall meets the floor. No more seeping, leaking or anything. I think that product costs less than 7 bucks.