Menu

My stupid question about layering

I feel silly for asking this, but I'm going on very little sleep and my brain is not functioning properly right now (I might use that excuse until all the kids are out of the house :tongue_smilie:)

But anyway, I read a blog where the woman talked about how it's important to dress your kid in layers during cold weather (this is for the inside, not for playing outside). Having come from Colorado, I'm the type that wears flip flops throughout winter and only wear a coat if it's a blizzard. This whole layers thing is new to me.

So I bought Pigby and Digby some short sleeved undershirts. They didn't have any long sleeved ones and I don't want to have to buy expensive ones online. I don't usually put babies over 3 months in onesies, but I'm thinking I ought to with baby girl as all her clothes are on the thin side. Yesterday I found the thick tights that I've been looking for and my question is, do I put those on her everyday under her regular clothes or are they just for dresses? I noticed when I got her up this morning that her legs and feet were cold and was wondering if it was normal to put tights under pants. I'm so tired I don't even remember what I did with the boys when they were this age.

Well, I'm ignorant of this practice. Why is it important to layer clothing for children indoors? My house is toasty warm during the cold months. Or is this because some people want to have their houses only slightly warm so they wear warm clothing and save money on heating bills?

I have a friend who puts tights on her girls every. single. day. from October through April or May. (Please note that it's 61 degrees here right now-- pretty average for October in Ohio-- and little girls are in tights and jeans.)

I reserve tights for dresses. However, all DD wants to wear are dresses most of the time. So she wears tights or leggings almost every day.

Well, I'm ignorant of this practice. Why is it important to layer clothing for children indoors? My house is toasty warm during the cold months. Or is this because some people want to have their houses only slightly warm so they wear warm clothing and save money on heating bills?

I'm trying to remember (again, really tired here). But something about how layers are more effective than one thick layer (like a sweatshirt) and better because they can be peeled. I know it our apartment it would probably be useful since the downstairs is so much colder than the upstairs. Even when it's set at a decent temp, the downstairs always feels freezing.

I do put tights under pants, with socks, for babies in winter. My general rule of thumb for babies is same number of layers I am wearing plus one.

I have a friend who puts tights on her girls every. single. day. from October through April or May. (Please note that it's 61 degrees here right now-- pretty average for October in Ohio-- and little girls are in tights and jeans.)

I reserve tights for dresses. However, all DD wants to wear are dresses most of the time. So she wears tights or leggings almost every day.

Ok, thank you. I guess it's not too weird, even though it seems it to me right now. It just recently got really, really cold here and caught me unprepared.

I buy thermal PJ's for my littelest littles to wear under their clothes (2-piece, of course!). Usually the cheap ones that are on the end-aisles of the baby section at Target. They're form fitting, so they don't add too much bulk, and if I'm already planning to have my kid in a t-shirt and sweater (plus jacket when going outside), then I'll just have them wear the pants and not the top.