Menu

Questions for those with sample chapters from Beast Academy…

Rosie

First of all, was the 3rd grade perimeter/area chapter the ONLY one sent out for review?

Second, if you have a sample chapter, does it look like there would be no need for an additional critical thinking book if you were to use Beast Academy for math?

Third, for those who have Singapore math as well, does the Beast 3rd grade seem more difficult than Singapore 3rd grade? My oldest is in Singapore 2B right now. I'm sure she will get through at least 3A before summer. I'm sure it's difficult to tell with just the perimeter/area chapter, but would you guess that going from Singapore 3 to Beast 3 would be fine or would it be a step down?

Fourth, does Beast Academy seem challenging (like AoPS)? The sample pages did not seem difficult at all. My oldest did them easily and my 6yo took a little longer, but the only one she didn't get was the perimeter of 13 question. The reason I'd want to switch would be to get those more challenging, deep-thinking type of problems - problems that will hopefully prepare them for the middle/high school AoPS books.

I REALLY wish I could see more of the book! My girls are enamored with the sample pages. I could take or leave the "beast" theme, but the colorful story format seems perfect for us….

First of all, was the 3rd grade perimeter/area chapter the ONLY one sent out for review?

As far as I know, it was just the sample chapter on Area and Perimeter.

Second, if you have a sample chapter, does it look like there would be no need for an additional critical thinking book if you were to use Beast Academy for math?

Very difficult to say. The Beast Academy sample (and I would strongly suspect the whole series will be the same) certainly does engage the "critical thinking" part of a child's mind.

I think it is an open question whether BA would supply all of a child's need for critical thinking type materials, or if it would just spur a desire to have more. I hope it's the latter.

Third, for those who have Singapore math as well, does the Beast 3rd grade seem more difficult than Singapore 3rd grade? My oldest is in Singapore 2B right now. I'm sure she will get through at least 3A before summer. I'm sure it's difficult to tell with just the perimeter/area chapter, but would you guess that going from Singapore 3 to Beast 3 would be fine or would it be a step down?

The materials in the BA sample are considerably more challenging than those in Singapore 3. Not that they are so "hard" it is beyond reason for kids, but they do have to use their noodles more than they would in the core Primary Mathematics books. So BA will be a step up.

One interesting place where BA wasn't "ahead" in the sequence was having children use serial addition (rather than multiplication) in some of the problem solving (like finding perimeters). It was still "challenging."

Fourth, does Beast Academy seem challenging (like AoPS)? The sample pages did not seem difficult at all. My oldest did them easily and my 6yo took a little longer, but the only one she didn't get was the perimeter of 13 question. The reason I'd want to switch would be to get those more challenging, deep-thinking type of problems - problems that will hopefully prepare them for the middle/high school AoPS books.

Definitely challenging. Children do need to think to problem solve the problems in the sample. IMO they did a great job of finding the balance between providing just enough information so there is "discovery" involved, and making it challenging, but not so difficult that a strong student will be frustrated.

I am very excited to see the full release.

I REALLY wish I could see more of the book! My girls are enamored with the sample pages. I could take or leave the "beast" theme, but the colorful story format seems perfect for us….

Seeing more (as in seeing the sample) might only make matters worse. I'm having a serious problem with patience knowing the first book is not due until next summer. It is agony! :D

Bill

Yes.

I don't think critical thinking books are needed for 3rd grade anyway, but as far as mathematical problem solving goes (such as Singapore), it looks good. I'd like to see samples of other chapters though, as it's hard to tell that much from perimeter and area. I also was surprised that in a 3rd grade book, they were teaching area as serial addition instead of multiplication. I can understand teaching it that way at first, but normally you'd show them multiplication also. They never did. I thought that was odd. Not a deal breaker. Just odd. My son multiplied anyway, since he thought to do that the first time he learned about area (as counting squares in MM).

So far (and we're not done with the workbook yet), the problems haven't been that difficult, except the challenge problems, which DS has gotten so far. I'm sure they will prepare a child as much as one can prepare a child for AoPS, since they're the people that wrote it. ;) AoPS is not a program for every math student though, so I don't know that anything would prepare a non-math-loving student for AoPS, ya know? Some kids just don't mesh with AoPS. It's not designed for the general population. It's designed for those kids who are the top of the top. My kid is mathy and will likely be doing algebra in 5th grade, 6th at the latest (likely 5th), and I don't know if AoPS will work for him or not. I plan to give the prealgebra a try when we get done with MM6B, but if it doesn't work, I'll have an alternate plan on hand. Hard to tell if my 7 year old will be willing to puzzle over a problem for an hour when he's 10. :tongue_smilie:

I've been meaning to sit down with the BA sample and my copies of Singapore 3B, 4A, and 5A plus the various CWP (old edition) and IP books to do a detailed comparison. Off the top of my head, I'd say that BA is harder than what's in the SM 3B textbook and the non-challenge problems of 3B IP and CWP. The non-challenge BA questions are about the same as what is in 4A & 5A textbook, the 3B IP & CWP, and the non-challenge questions in 4A IP and CWP. Most of the BA challenge questions I'd say are similar to the challenge problems in 4A IP and CWP. However, there are a few of the BA challenge problems that I'd say are harder than anything found in any of the SM books DD has done (she's currently working in 5A).

It's hard to tell from just one chapter, but I don't think BA is going to be enough by itself unless your student is unusually gifted in math because there aren't enough practice problems. I do think a combining BA with SM CWP and IP might be a very good option for a bright child. I might go with that option after my DS finishes the first part of RS C if BA is out by then.

Oooo, that makes me very happy if what you're saying turns out to be true for the whole 3rd grade book! That means we can do Singapore 3A and 3B and then move to BA 3 and be right on track. And I won't have to worry as much about their 4th grade book being out in time, either.

I was planning on still doing the CWP books along with BA, but I didn't think about doing the IP books, too. That might be a good idea for us since my kids are "merely" good at math, not gifted. They may need that extra practice.

Oooo, that makes me very happy if what you're saying turns out to be true for the whole 3rd grade book! That means we can do Singapore 3A and 3B and then move to BA 3 and be right on track. And I won't have to worry as much about their 4th grade book being out in time, either.

I was planning on still doing the CWP books along with BA, but I didn't think about doing the IP books, too. That might be a good idea for us since my kids are "merely" good at math, not gifted. They may need that extra practice.

We expect to be finished with the level 3 Primary Mathematics books (including the IPs and CWP) if all goes as planned. I too was concerned the BA materials might be too easy, but if the sample is a good gauge it out to be right on target for my child who will be a rising 3rd Grader next summer.

Bill

It's hard to tell from just one chapter, but I don't think BA is going to be enough by itself unless your student is unusually gifted in math because there aren't enough practice problems.

The text and workbook by themselves will probably not be enough, but I'm guessing the online content that is slated to go with this will supply the extra practice problems for the kids - from the Beast Academy website -

Beast Academy will also include a variety of digital content. An innovative online learning system will provide a customized learning experience for every child, adjusting to student performance to deliver appropriate problems and lessons.

Oh, I forgot about that! Yes, that would be nice to have! Gosh, I can't wait for it all to come out!

Does anyone else feel like a geek when you get so excited about curriculum? LOL! I'm the only one I know IRL that does that! My poor husband is the only one I have to talk to about it all. He's learned to just smile and nod... :)

I

It's hard to tell from just one chapter, but I don't think BA is going to be enough by itself unless your student is unusually gifted in math because there aren't enough practice problems. I do think a combining BA with SM CWP and IP might be a very good option for a bright child. I might go with that option after my DS finishes the first part of RS C if BA is out by then.

Granted there are still many unknows, but just looking at the Area and Perimeter questions in Level 3 Beast Academy vs Primary Mathematics I'm not seeing a lack of practice problems in the BA materials. I felt they were pretty extensive in the practice book, and very well taught in the textbook/guide.

Bill

How many practice problems does there seem to be per lesson? Are they even divided into lessons like in Singapore where it has the little arrow that says which workbook lesson to do?

I guess it will depend on the kid whether or not it will be enough practice. I don't even know whether or not my girls need a lot of practice. We're doing 2 curricula so they seem to almost always understand exactly how to do everything because a lot of it is covered in both. We've only run into a wall once or twice (with manipulating numbers within 20) and I know that was a mental maturity thing. Anyway, maybe it's possible that they won't need that much practice with new concepts. I won't know until we get there, I guess...

Does anyone else feel like a geek when you get so excited about curriculum? LOL! I'm the only one I know IRL that does that! My poor husband is the only one I have to talk to about it all. He's learned to just smile and nod... :)

I'm lucky because there are a couple other moms in my support group who are also 'curriculum junkies' - so when I get something new and I'm excited about it, I can just take it to the next park day and be pretty sure there will be someone there to oooh and aaah over it with me!! :D

How many practice problems does there seem to be per lesson? Are they even divided into lessons like in Singapore where it has the little arrow that says which workbook lesson to do?

I guess it will depend on the kid whether or not it will be enough practice. I don't even know whether or not my girls need a lot of practice. We're doing 2 curricula so they seem to almost always understand exactly how to do everything because a lot of it is covered in both. We've only run into a wall once or twice (with manipulating numbers within 20) and I know that was a mental maturity thing. Anyway, maybe it's possible that they won't need that much practice with new concepts. I won't know until we get there, I guess...

There are 115 practice problems for the area/parameter chapter. I think it's more than plenty. :001_smile:

Gosh, I can't wait for it all to come out!

Does anyone else feel like a geek when you get so excited about curriculum?

Galore Park's Homeric Greek program hasn't come out yet. I was so excited at first. As the expected release date came and went, and the next one came and went, and the next one, I decided that I would never again get my hopes up about a program with a release date more than three weeks away. Put up a pre-order button or shut up. I am bitter.

I would be doing cartwheels about Beast Academy, were I allowing myself to hope.

Galore Park's Homeric Greek program hasn't come out yet. I was so excited at first. As the expected release date came and went, and the next one came and went, and the next one, I decided that I would never again get my hopes up about a program with a release date more than three weeks away. Put up a pre-order button or shut up. I am bitter.

I would be doing cartwheels about Beast Academy, were I allowing myself to hope.

Oh, no. Don't tell me that! I need BA to come out on time (or pretty close) for it to work for us!

There are 115 practice problems for the area/parameter chapter. I think it's more than plenty. :001_smile:

Yeah, I'd say that sounds like enough! The samples I've seen don't seem like that at all. 4 problems per page, I think. That must not be the average or the book would be huge!

Yeah, I'd say that sounds like enough! The samples I've seen don't seem like that at all. 4 problems per page, I think. That must not be the average or the book would be huge!

Yes, just 3 to 4 problems per page on average. The practice problems for this particular chapter took 31 pages. :001_smile:

I just can't wait for the scope and sequence!!! It they treat every topic with as much depth as this one (and I am sure they will), SM won't come close to this trully beautiful beasty madness.

By way of comparison, if a student completes all the problems in the Singapore 4A SE textbook, IP, and CWP (the most comparable IMHO to the BA samples) area & perimeter chapters, he/she would complete 185 problems.

I don't have the Singapore workbook so I don't know how many practice problems are in that.

I liked what I saw in the BA samples, but I didn't feel it had enough practice to stand on its own. Perhaps the online portion will remedy that, but I like the Singapore supplemental books enough to keep using those even if I decide to ditch the SM textbook in favor of BA.

By way of comparison, if a student completes all the problems in the Singapore 4A SE textbook, IP, and CWP (the most comparable IMHO to the BA samples) area & perimeter chapters, he/she would complete 185 problems.

I don't have the Singapore workbook so I don't know how many practice problems are in that.

I liked what I saw in the BA samples, but I didn't feel it had enough practice to stand on its own. Perhaps the online portion will remedy that, but I like the Singapore supplemental books enough to keep using those even if I decide to ditch the SM textbook in favor of BA.

Yes, we always feel SM has toooo much practice. We tend to do all of IP, most of workbook and only use textbook for explanations. When we worked on CWP1 last summer, we basically just did couple easy problems per chapter and all challenges. It's just too much.

I think a lot depends on the topic and how easily child gets it. Sometimes more is good and sometimes it isn't.

I think it's going to be difficult to make any calls on Beast math until we actually have it in our hands. I do really hope they will also have the website running this summer with additional games/practice.

I have the Singapore 3B workbook. I don't really know how to count the problems because so many have a) b) c) type parts, or ask the question and have the child give the same answer in different places.

That said, I don't think the time necessary to complete the sections or the challenge of the Singapore area and perimeter section will be as great as those of the Beast Academy sample.

The Singapore section in the workbook is not bad. But Beast Academy is better.

Bill

I have a 5 year old that I would like to use this with. I emailed AoPS today and they told me 2nd grade will be the last grade to come out and would be at least a couple years away.

In this case, what would you all use for grades 1 and 2 before hopefully switching over to BA in 3rd? I have MM but also considered SM. Or maybe RightStart? Or does it not really matter and any one would be fine until we can switch?

I have a 5 year old that I would like to use this with. I emailed AoPS today and they told me 2nd grade will be the last grade to come out and would be at least a couple years away.

In this case, what would you all use for grades 1 and 2 before hopefully switching over to BA in 3rd? I have MM but also considered SM. Or maybe RightStart? Or does it not really matter and any one would be fine until we can switch?

Did they say if they planned one grade release per year?

We haven't used MM, but SM is great, so I think 2 years of SM before Beast will work just fine.