Huckleberry Finn

Shakespeare: Romeo and Juliet

Henry V

Miguel de Cervantes: Don Quixote

Jonathan Swift: Gulliver's Travels

Grimm: House Tales (Hausmarchen)

Charlotte Bronte: Jane Eyre

St. Exupery: The Little Prince

This from the top of my head. I'll post more if I think of them.

For high school literature. I'm just looking for people's opinions on the matter. What do you think every high school child should read? Please give specific names of books, don't just say "classics".

• The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson AND Frankenstein by Mary Shelley along with The Deadliest Monster by Jeff Baldwin
  • at least one tragedy (my pick would be Hamlet) and one comedy (my pick would be Twelfth Night) by William Shakespeare
  • something by Charles Dickens (Oliver Twist, A Christmas Carol, or Great Expectations?)
  • Tom Sawyer or Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
  • Silas Marner by George Eliot
  • To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
  • Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
  • Mere Christianity or The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis
  • The Hobbit (and The Lord of the Rings trilogy) by J.R.R. Tolkien
  • The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • something by Jane Austen (Pride and Prejudice or Sense and Sensibility?)

This is what I would expect in each grade (I would expect 3-5 long novels books read per year in addition to a half dozen short stories and some poetry).

To Kill a Mockingbird, The Great Gatsby, Homer, Bronte (something by one of the Bronte sistesr), The Scarlet Letter, and at least two plays by Shakespeare are what I would expect all students to have covered at some point in their studies.

Edited by Sevilla

I think a high school student should develop some general knowledge of World literature, from its first works to contemporary books, with a focus on western civilization. The goal for us is to develop cultural literacy (so works which are frequently referenced in Arts and literature must be included), and to give an overview over the English language literature (for non-Americans: their native culture).

Must reads for us:

Homeric Epics (Iliad, Odyssey)

Vergil Aeneid

Bible (excerpts)- important even for non-Christian students

Beowulf

Nibelung Saga

Arthurian legend

Dante Divine Comedy

Shakespeare plays and sonnets

Goethe's Faust

Cervantes Don Quichote

Defoe Robinson Crusoe

Swift Gulliver's Travels

a novel by Jane Austen

poetry by Tennyson

short stories by Edgar Allan Poe

something by the Brontes

a novel each by Dostoyewski, Tolstoi, Balzac

Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn

Hugo Notre Dame

Steinbeck Grapes of Wrath

Orwell Animal Farm and 1984

plus various other things.

At least one Shakespeare play a year. Preferably covering two tragedies, two comedies, two histories.

They Oedipus trilogy, and one Greek comedy.

Excerpts of Plato and Aristotle

Illiad and Odyssey

To Kill a Mockingbird

Some Jane Austin, Mark Twain, and Charles Dickens

Jane Eyre

Some current writers as well - Beloved or Song of Solomon, A Prayer for Owen Meany

I would match a reading or two to as many time periods as possible. I would combine history and literature rather than English and lit as most schools do.

I'm going to suggest that there is no must read list. There are too many "classics" out there to read them all in high school and different people have different opinions not only about the books, but what sort of books should be on the list. (I own a book titled life time reading plan or something similar, fictional works make up less than 1/3 of the list, if you read over what you'll come up with here and most other places, works of nonfiction are rarely suggested).

Instead I'd investigate and think about what it is you want your student to learn and study. How do you want to organize your studies. Then begin to select books to fit that plan. OR cheat and buy into a package program which makes it easier by creating some sort of framework. You can still do some substituting in or out of books that you feel need to be there or don't need to be there. But whatever you do figure out what your purpose is in doing this before you select the books.

I'm going to suggest that there is no must read list.

:iagree:

And there are some 'classics' that will just not agree with some people. I hated Wuthering Heights and am so glad I didn't have to read it in high school. I enjoyed Don Quixote as an adult, but don't think I would have liked it as a teenager. I think it's important to read a broad selection, but I wouldn't call anything required.

Authors to choose from:

Shakespeare

Austin

Tolstoy

Dickens

Twain

C. S. Lewis

Hemingway

There's no must read list.

Instead, I think it's important that students get to read things that make them think. And for that, it's probably important to find books that the student *wants* to read. There's no sense trying to stuff great books in. Kids just ignore them.

So I'd let the student try a number of different books. If they get part way through some of them and are about to throw the book across the room, let them try another.

The only requirement should be that they read a few things that are considered literature.

I've given my kids lists of books and they've chosen what appealed to them. They didn't finish them all, but they certainly finished a lot of them.

You might try to search out some of the book lists that are on the web. Here's one list of novels (which are not the only books out there, of course):

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/completelist/0,29569,1951793,00.html

I think some of these books are not things I'd ever want to read, but they might speak to someone else.

And another list of books recommended by the College Board:

http://www.collegeboard.com/student/plan/boost-your-skills/23628.html

This is what I would expect in each grade (I would expect 3-5 long novels books read per year in addition to a half dozen short stories and some poetry).

To Kill a Mockingbird, The Great Gatsby, Homer, Bronte (something by one of the Bronte sistesr), The Scarlet Letter, and at least two plays by Shakespeare are what I would expect all students to have covered at some point in their studies.

Ack! I completely forgot about Homer! :001_huh: