Menu

ANOTHER 'Homemade Vanilla Extract' Question:

Everything is ordered and on its way --

IF I purchase the largest bottle of Vodka that I can (1/2 gallon :confused:), Can I put the vanilla beans in that bottle and do my smaller bottles later, OR should I just do the small bottles right from the start?

A funny about this whole process: I emailed DH and told him that I needed the largest bottle of Vodka that could be found........without telling him what it was for. I immediately sent another email and told him I was preparing vanilla extract. He read the first email and phoned right away -- wanting to know if my day was as bad as the email led him to believe.:lol::lol::lol:

I'll bet ANY amount of money that if you send the same email to Wolf, he will be at your door in a nanosecond.:auto:

('Wolf, come home right now with the biggest bottle of vodka you can find.' :w00t:)

Ha! If I want him home in a hurry, all I have to do is call and say, "Honey, I've sprung a leak!" :tongue_smilie:

It depends on how you want to do it. We do ours in the big bottle and then pour into smaller bottles later.

We have also made vanilla from different varieties of beans and had several small bottles with different kinds of beans going at the same time.

Thank you -- and I like the idea of combining some of the beans.:)

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

He will be at the door before the word 'Honey' is out of your mouth.:auto:

Nah...I had to call him home on Monday. We had our hot water tank being replaced, and while Wolf cleared everywhere he thought he'd be working, he didn't realize that they'd need access under the stairs, where he keeps the camping gear and other storage stuff. He didn't panic when I called, immediately launching into baby mode, so I think I could get away with actually having to say the words before I heard tires squeal.

Nah...I had to call him home on Monday. We had our hot water tank being replaced, and while Wolf cleared everywhere he thought he'd be working, he didn't realize that they'd need access under the stairs, where he keeps the camping gear and other storage stuff. He didn't panic when I called, immediately launching into baby mode, so I think I could get away with actually having to say the words before I heard tires squeal.

THAT was MONDAY! :sleep:

THIS is WEDNESDAY! :gnorsi:

OH, to be a fly on the wall at your house!:lol:

THAT was MONDAY! :sleep:

THIS is WEDNESDAY! :gnorsi:

OH, to be a fly on the wall at your house!:lol:

:lol:

I figure if I can get through Thanksgiving on Sunday, all will be fine.

The idea of having a half raw turkey in the oven and going into labour skeers me.

Besides, Wolf's suggested painting my belly like a puking jack o'lantern if I'm still pregnant on Hallowe'en. Kid's gotta be born to avoid that!

:lol:

I figure if I can get through Thanksgiving on Sunday, all will be fine.

The idea of having a half raw turkey in the oven and going into labour skeers me.

Besides, Wolf's suggested painting my belly like a puking jack o'lantern if I'm still pregnant on Hallowe'en. Kid's gotta be born to avoid that![/QUOTE]

UNCROSS your legs and start whispering to your belly!;)

Given how contrary my kids tend to be, its not a wise idea...[/QUOTE]

Heavens -- I hear you.

Reverse psychology, then? "listen, honey buns, mommy wants you to stay in there till you can see the glow of the lights from the Christmas tree. Mommy's little sweetie bundle of precious baby smell will do that for her, right?" :D

I do the vanilla beans in the small bottle. How many do you have?? I would think you'd need a lot of beans in 2 quarts of vodka to be sure in the end you have VANILLA and not vodka with a hint of vanilla flavor.

I did buy literally a TON of vanilla beans -- a TON.

How did this thread get back to vanilla beans? :confused:

I don't mean to break up the party:001_smile:, but I have always wanted to make homemade vanilla and this thread reminded me that I need to get going on it if I am to have it ready for Christmas. Is there a super website that describes the process and supplies, and where do you get the best deal on whole vanilla beans? Again, sorry for intruding on the baby party.

I don't mean to break up the party:001_smile:, but I have always wanted to make homemade vanilla and this thread reminded me that I need to get going on it if I am to have it ready for Christmas. Is there a super website that describes the process and supplies, and where do you get the best deal on whole vanilla beans? Again, sorry for intruding on the baby party.

No need to apologize! I did hijack my own thread! :tongue_smilie:

I googled 'homemade vanilla extract' and read through a reasonable number of websites with basically all of them having the same directions - more or less. One apparently needs a minimum of two months for the mixture to 'steep' however, some websites say one needs at least twice that amount of time.

All seem to agree on one thing - if by the time the gift is given, it's only been brewing for two months, you can put a "BEST IF USED AFTER 2/2012" notice on the bottle.

They all mention this as well -- the recipient can refill the bottle with Vodka (or whatever you used) as long as the split beans remain in the bottle. It will improve with age, and they literally never have to run out.

I purchased my beans and some bottles (I am going to make up different shapes and labels and stuff) from The Kitchen Project

http://kitchenproject.com/EnchantedSpice/VanillaExtracts/AlmondVanillaExtract/index.htm

I also found a place to purchase seals for the outside of some of the bottles (you use a hairdryer to make the seal) -- there are just so many ways to be creative with this kind of project -- which is totally ME.

Heavens -- I hear you.

Reverse psychology, then? "listen, honey buns, mommy wants you to stay in there till you can see the glow of the lights from the Christmas tree. Mommy's little sweetie bundle of precious baby smell will do that for her, right?" :D

I think I just threw up in my mouth a bit...

:svengo: THAT'S REFLUX! :rofl:

No, that's a really over active gag reflex combined with a highly weak tolerance for icky.

Something I've never had to deal with before. SpecialMama and Wolf were *talking* about gross smells the other day, and I almost woofed. Seriously. Gagging, tears in the eyes, the whole nine yards. :glare:

No, that's a really over active gag reflex combined with a highly weak tolerance for icky.

Something I've never had to deal with before. SpecialMama and Wolf were *talking* about gross smells the other day, and I almost woofed. Seriously. Gagging, tears in the eyes, the whole nine yards. :glare:

Oh my gosh! (wretch) Thanks for the vanilla extract instructions (wretch), but I have to leave now before I get sick. :tongue_smilie:My gag reflex is so sensitive, I can't swallow most meds. Oi!:lol:

:tongue_smilie:

My pregnancy before dd12 (the pg ended in a 2nd trimester loss) I had an unbelievable aversion to CANTALOPE! Can you believe it?

DH and I were in a restaurant one night, and the waitress was bringing an order to the table next to ours -- there was a slice of cantalope as garnish on one of the plates. I smelled it before I saw it, and I had to run to the rest room. just thought I would share!;)

:tongue_smilie:

My pregnancy before dd12 (the pg ended in a 2nd trimester loss) I had an unbelievable aversion to CANTALOPE! Can you believe it?

DH and I were in a restaurant one night, and the waitress was bringing an order to the table next to ours -- there was a slice of cantalope as garnish on one of the plates. I smelled it before I saw it, and I had to run to the rest room. just thought I would share!;)

Nice.

I can't predict what will set me off at all. Started w/coffee, but that's ok now.