Menu

Please help me to understand toddler behavior/violence

We switched to the walmart brand sensitive (NOT aloe, NOT the ones that say like Pampers sensitive), and he stopped.

:iagree: These are the best wipes ever. Soft, textured to pick up the mess better, not smelly, and as a bonus, they don't shred if you accidentally wash one. They are the only ones I will use, and I've converted a few other parents to using them, too.

:iagree: These are the best wipes ever. Soft, textured to pick up the mess better, not smelly, and as a bonus, they don't shred if you accidentally wash one. They are the only ones I will use, and I've converted a few other parents to using them, too.

Hehehe, quite a few of ours have gone through the laundry too! I don't even know how we landed on them in the first place. I just know the other "sensitive" brands I tried hurt him and made him scream, and they all seemed to say aloe in the label.

Okay, I went here and found that he has a few symptoms scattered throughout other categories, but the ones I identified the most with were all in the sub-categories under Social, Emotional, Play, And Self-Regulation Dysfunction (3 under social, 5 under emotional, 2 under play, 0 under self-regulation, 2 under internal regulation).

I do know that we haven't cut out enough dairy, because while the tummy pains seem to no longer affect DS, he still has diarrhea or loose stools daily. I don't believe he has ever had a solid poop....ever. It, obviously, gets worse (becomes green & watery) with increased dairy.

Ohhh eeek. That is so, so bad.

As a mom of kids who were allergic to both dairy and soy, please, you need to go to an allergist and get him tested. In the meantime, cut it all out. Their little systems are often raw with trying to deal with the allergens.

Don't think about what you CAN'T have. Sit down and write out what you CAN have. Write out snacks he can have, and meals you can have. then work off that. Make sure you shop with CAN, and not CAN'T.:grouphug::grouphug:

Ohhh eeek. That is so, so bad.

As a mom of kids who were allergic to both dairy and soy, please, you need to go to an allergist and get him tested. In the meantime, cut it all out. Their little systems are often raw with trying to deal with the allergens.

Don't think about what you CAN'T have. Sit down and write out what you CAN have. Write out snacks he can have, and meals you can have. then work off that. Make sure you shop with CAN, and not CAN'T.:grouphug::grouphug:

Maybe I didn't say, but he HAS been tested....not allergic.

Maybe I didn't say, but he HAS been tested....not allergic.

It may not be an allergy, but an intolerance or sensitivity. If the little lad has watery stools and it gets worse with increased diary, then I really feel that it needs to be out of his diet, fast. Was he a colicky baby by any chance?

It may not be an allergy, but an intolerance or sensitivity. If the little lad has watery stools and it gets worse with increased diary, then I really feel that it needs to be out of his diet, fast. Was he a colicky baby by any chance?

No. He was actually a fairly easy baby (for the most part). He was exclusively BF until about age 7 months or so though.

No. He was actually a fairly easy baby (for the most part). He was exclusively BF until about age 7 months or so though.

The only reason I asked was because both Rabbit and Tigger were very colicky as babies, and it proved to be an intolerance to dairy in MY diet (I then bre@stfed exclusively 5-6m and then introduced dairy-free foods). Rabbit continued to be intolerant to dairy until she was about 5, but Tigger grew out of it by 3yo. It may be something you just need to do now, and maybe your ds will grow out of it. As their little systems mature, they can become better at digesting certain things. I wouldn't necessarily assume that he'd have to be dairy-free for life.

I think it would be helpful for your ds if you could establish whether it's simply a dairy intolerance, or an intolerance to something specific in the dairy - like lactose, or whey.

Also, we didn't find that going dairy-free was overly more expensive; we found that Rabbit and Tigger could tolerate goat's milk, but I used soya and rice milk to cook with because it was cheaper. We had a dairy-free soya spread, and goat's milk cheese and yoghurt. There are probably more options available now.

You might like to do some research into calcium sources. Having done so myself, I found that humans absorb calcium easiest from green vegetables. It's actually quite hard for a human to get enough calcium from dairy products; it's not in a form that is easy to isolate or digest. It's a generalisation, but it's true that many Chinese people can't digest dairy products and milk in particular. If you think about it, typical Chinese food doesn't include dairy. In the west, we've traditionally eaten dairy products because they are available to us, and for many people, they don't present a problem. But milk is not a necessary part of a human diet, beyond breastfeeding/breastmilk substitutes.

Anyway, I hope that helps some; I hope you find a solution so that your son is more comfortable and life is easier for you! :grouphug:

We actually went completely dairy free just after his first birthday when I put it all together and realized he had issues with dairy. The pediatrician called it a dairy protein intolerance.

Trying to come up with alternatives for what we were eating (butter, cheese, snacks, etc) was what cost so much. DS is a picky eater and will only eat (as far as fruits & veggies) strawberries. He won't eat bananas, apples, grapes, peaches, any sort of melon, veggies of any kind, though we offer them regularly. So, we settled for cutting it out mostly vs a complete avoidance. I have severe mommy guilt over it, because I know I should be avoiding completely, but it was just so, so hard for us, both financially and logistically.

Edited by k2bdeutmeyer

Kristin, kids who have digestive problems often are picky eaters. They internally know the foods make them hurt, so they avoid them. Also, did they check his oral tone? Are there any patterns to him rejecting foods that require more chewing? Third, kids prefer what we ate when we were pregnant or ate while nursing them. There could be some of that going, maybe not.

At this age you can get a pill crusher and start grinding a calcium tablet for him to take daily.

Do you have to cut dairy for everyone? Indy is allergic to milk protein, but James bond and I still have dairy. It doesn't bother him to see us eat it. He does occasionally eat cheese on a pizza, but dear heavens do we all pay for it later. His stomach hurts and the gas is awful (hence how we all pay). He knows the consequences though and sometimes elects to eat it anyway. When he was a baby he was on a script formula because he was also allergic to soy. Once he went off formula, he drank rice milk, which is not expensive. They also make rice butter, rice cheese (several different types), rice yogurt and rice cream (like ice cream). If you and your dh decide to buy just those things, be warned though that they will taste weird to you because you're not used to them. Indy didn't mind though because he didn't know different.

Han Solo is also allergic to dairy and soy. Good grief. He's only 6 months old, but now this thread has me scared to death. Indy was such a laid back baby and toddler (he still is to be honest), but I don't know if lightening will strike twice.

Dh and I both have lactose issues and have to take Lactaid pills before dairy and drink Lactaid milk (actually we don't drink milk, we use it for cereal) which is expensive! A gallon of Lactaid milk is $8.16. Yikes. Rice milk costs about $2.50 for a 32oz box (the kind that isn't in the refrigerated section). That's cheap!

As for snacks, will he eat crackers? You can find many that have no milk (and no gluten if you're trying to cut that too) in the ingredients. Also, maybe you can make him a smoothie from strawberries, ice and rice milk. He might drink it if you tell him it's like a milkshake.

:grouphug: Best of luck to you.