Menu

dictionary recommendation

Does anyone have a good dictionary recommendation for a 3rd grader (8yr old)? He has a charlie brown one and another kid one but they never seem to have the words we are looking for in them . The other dictionary that we have is too small or writing. Anyone have a good one? We are using Rod and Staff English so if that makes a difference?

I can tell you what not to buy. :lol: We had a scholastic children that hardly had any words. I then got a Webster's (I think and I can't look right now) Children's one and it still only has about half of the words that we look up. It is a big one too . . . . . I guess the font size is bigger.

I am needing recommendation for a new one!

Children's dictionaries never seemed to have the words my ds need to look up. However, I purchased The American Heritage Student Dictionary for my ds to use this year, and so far, every word he has need to look up has been in the dictionary.

The American Heritage Student Dictionary is excellent. I'm often surprised by the words it *does* include, and it's an excellent stepping stone to an adult dictionary. I've been very pleased with it for middle/late elementary.

(I believe there's also an AH Children's Dictionary. Skip it.)

Edited by abbeyej

The American Heritage Student Dictionary is excellent. I'm often surprised by the words it *does* include, and it's an excellent stepping stone to an adult dictionary. I've been very pleased with it for middle/late elementary.

(I believe there's also an AH Children's Dictionary. Skip it.)

We have the American Heritgage Student Dictionary too and like it. I finally settled on that one, even though it does not include everything DS looks up. But it is a perfect stepping stone for us to just using the adult one after he was comfortable with the AH Student one.