Menu

Let's Talk Brownies

I baked the best, best, best, batch of brownies yesterday and they are gone tonight. Only ds and I are here. Dd and Dh are in Germany. WE ate them all! Yikes! The recipe is on my blog if anyone wants it.

So, how do you like your brownies? Plain, unadulterated chocolate (why mess with a good thing?), with chocolate chips, with nuts, frosted, cake-like, chewey and thin, blondies, marbled, other?

Do tell, and please feel free to share recipes. I may have to resort to baking another batch tomorrow!:drool:

That recipe sounds YUM!! Hmmm...now I want brownies. Memo to myself: must go to store for chocolate chips and butter. I really have never met a brownie I didn't like. The chocolatier (is that a word) and chewier the better. Cuddling a sleeping baby right now or I'd be making a batch of brownies. LOL!

I baked the best, best, best, batch of brownies yesterday and they are gone tonight. Only ds and I are here. Dd and Dh are in Germany. WE ate them all! Yikes! The recipe is on my blog if anyone wants it.

So, how do you like your brownies? Plain, unadulterated chocolate (why mess with a good thing?), with chocolate chips, with nuts, frosted, cake-like, chewey and thin, blondies, marbled, other?

Do tell, and please feel free to share recipes. I may have to resort to baking another batch tomorrow!:drool:

Our brownies have to be milkless and eggless. They are still quite good. We add marshmallows to make it special. I do love plain traditional gooey brownies. :drool5:

On the back of the Baker's Chocolate box there is a recipe for one bowl brownies which are pretty darn good.

I like my brownies straight up :) No nuts, frosting or even chocolate chips. MMM, why oh why did you have to post this??? Now I'm craving brownies!

This one. Oooohhhhhh. Groan. But don't say I didn't warn you. You'll be VERY VERY sorry. No brownie I've ever had since can even begin to measure up.

Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake Brownies

(Dufflet Rosenberg, Toronto)

Ingredients

6 oz Semisweet chocolate; chopped

1 tb Vanilla extract

3 oz Unsweetened chocolate

1 c Butter; softened

2 Cream cheese; softened

1 c Flour

2 c Sugar

1/4 ts Salt

4 Eggs

1/2 c Raspberry jam (Pam's aside: use the best jam you can find)

Instructions for Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake Brownies

Directions: In heatproof bowl set over hot (not boiling) water, melt semisweet with unsweetened chocolate. Remove from heat; stir until smooth. Let cool to lukewarm.

In large bowl, beat cream cheese with 1/3 cup of the sugar until smooth. Beat in 1 of the eggs and 1 teaspoon of the vanilla until well combined. Set aside. In separate large bowl, beat butter with remaining sugar until smooth. Beat in remaining eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in remaining vanilla, then chocolate, mixing well. Mix in flour and salt just until combined.

Line a 13 x 9 inch cake pan with foil, leaving overhand for "handles".

Reserve 1 cup of the chocolate batter.

Spread remaining chocolate batter in pan. Spread with cream cheese mixture. Spoon reserved chocolate batter in dollops over top. Spoon jam in smaller dollops among chocolate dollops. With knife, zigzag through layers for marble effect.

Bake in 350F oven for 35 minutes or until tester inserted 2 inches from centre comes out slightly moist. Let cool on rack. Using foil handles, lift onto cutting board; cut into squares. (Can be refrigerated in airtight container for up to 4 days; bring to room temperature). Contributor: Dufflet Rosenberg Posted to MM-Recipes Digest V4 #328 by Bonnie & Tim Annis on Dec 17, 1997

Link to original is here.

I buy the box of Hershey's that Sam's sells and end up eating a 1/2 cup of the batter before it makes it into the oven - shameful! :glare: I rarely buy box mixes but this one can't be beat.

Does everyone know that cutting your brownies with a plastic knife keeps them from falling apart? I didn't until a few years ago and it's amazing the difference it makes.

Penny

I buy the fudge brownie mix for a 13x9 pan. Instead of water, I substitute Bailey's Irish Creme (or Kahlua). When they have cooled, I top them with a butter cream frosting (homemade). Sometimes I even add a bit of the Bailey's to the butter cream. Mmmm.... The final, and sometimes skipped step, is to melt choc chips and a bit of butter in a pan and pour the mixture over the butter cream. Always a :thumbup1: at a :party:.

Oooh, Thanks for the recipe and loved the blogsite!

Penny

Mom to 5

Does everyone know that cutting your brownies with a plastic knife keeps them from falling apart? I didn't until a few years ago and it's amazing the difference it makes.

Penny

OOOh, I did not know this. Does this mean I have to make another batch to try out the plastic knife trick?:D

Thanks. I knew I could count on you guys for brownie wisdom!

This one. Oooohhhhhh. Groan. But don't say I didn't warn you. You'll be VERY VERY sorry. No brownie I've ever had since can even begin to measure up.

Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake Brownies...

Well, my hips just said thanks a lot! :glare: I just broke up with Mike('s), and now this?! Sheesh!

:lol::lol:

We.love.brownies.

I will eat nearly any variety! My dh, however, strongly prefers these (the recipe his mom always used). Try them--they're really good and easy:

3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa

1/2 tsp. baking soda

2/3 cup oil, divided

1/2 cup boiling water

2 cups sugar

2 eggs

1 1/3 cup flour

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/4 teaspoon salt (I use 1/2 tsp--to me, less salt tastes flat)

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350. Stir baking soda and cocoa in bowl. Blend in 1/3 cup oil (will put the rest in later). Add boiling water. Stir until mixture thickens. Stir in sugar, eggs, and remaining oil. Stir until smooth. Add flour, vanilla, and salt. Blend completely. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour into lightly greased 13 X 9 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Don't overbake.

I don't know what it is, but there is something about the boiling water added to the cocoa that gives a yummy quality to the brownies.

Where's the poll? I vote YES! :D (Which means all of the above! I LOVE brownies!):tongue_smilie: