Menu

SOTW III - seeking tips on helping kids learn the material

Doran

We've been using SOTW for many years now, and we like the program very much. But, toward the end of the second book and now into the third, we find that the material is more complex, with more names and dates/events to absorb. My oldest doesn't have so much difficulty with it - that's just the way she learns - but the youngest isn't retaining much. To be perfectly honest, neither am I. If we read a chapter and don't go right to the narrations/review, we've both forgotten a good portion of the detail. Generally, I read a chapter, try to summarize bit by bit as we go along, then we do the review questions and writing the next day. But, I'm wondering if any of you have found any good techniques for helping your kids absorb material more long term?

Doran

We read one section, not the whole chapter, and then do the review questions and narrate right away. The next day read another section, review and narrate. Maybe this would help? I know my boys would have trouble remember the details the next day. HTH!

When we go over the review questions the next day, I make notes on the white board. I even leave these in place and allow my dd to look at them when we're composing the writing. But, she still struggles. Maybe we'll try just doing one section at a time and getting the writing portion done right after. That would certainly help for short term recall. But, it doesn't address the longer term issue which is that much of the data-heavy information is forgotten by the very next day, let alone a week or so later. The stories are easier for her to remember, but there are fewer of those in the later books.

Doran

Maybe I'm wrong here, but I'm thinking this first go around is more to familiarize them with history, not remember it. I also think reading through the narrations and looking at the colored pictures can help them remember what they've read. I think I would move to doing a section at a time with the writing directly afterward, then reviewing the narrations during the week. I also don't think I'd be worried about your dd not remembering much at this stage, she'll get it 2 more times before she is done. Next time she'll think, "Hey, this sounds familiar", then the next time "Oh, ya, I remember that!". :)

I bought the cds (read by Jim Weiss and well worth the money) and we play them in the car or while we eat during the week that we read that section. (being careful to not go ahead). Hearing the story several times helps ds9 to remember the info better. Our narration times goes very well this way. I also noticed he remembers some chapters better than others.

As this is our first time around, we do not worry about remember all the facts and details. This time is just for exposure.

We saw pictures recently of the Phoenicians and the Indus. These are things we covered 2 years ago when he was 6. I could tell he thought they were familiar although he could not recall who they were. So we did a quick review. We did a picture of the cave drawings from the the beginning, and he recognized those!!:)

Adrianne

I was under the impression too that the first time around is to familiarize them with history not to memorize it. I plan on rereading the Story of the World series from 5th - 8th grade for my older son. In that stage, I will have him go over dates and memorize facts. Right now, he is enjoying the story of how history came into being. I thought also that grammar stage is where the child gathers the facts. Logic stage is where the child has to memorize and apply what they have learned. I mean from what I remember reading from The Well Trained Mind.

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

Hey Doran,

We are only on SOTW 2, so this is just an idea. I have found that doing the projects helps dd retain alot of detail, even tho' I'm not that worried about retention, only exposure. You may not be a project girl--dd and I aren't that into coloring pages--to each his own, eh? But there is something to be said about doing a hands-on for the important parts, and for adding in the outside reading. One of the reasons Sonlight uses so much historical fiction is because the retention rate goes up when children have an emotional response to the material.

So, I guess my advice is to do a few projects, and read a few outside books, and don't worry too much about retention. What do you think?

I make review cards for each chapter as we go. I ask questions from the chapter and they answer. On the front of the cards are pictures relating to the questions. Every week, we review all the cards. We are towards the end of SOTW 1, so it takes a good 30 minutes, but they know it! I do this also for Apologia Astronomy. It's amazing how much they have retained.

I was in a co-op that did this, but they made "passports". A little bound book with picture stickers with a sentence about the pic. It kinda hits the highlights of the chapter.

I appreciate the advice, and I can apply it to a certain degree. Trouble is, my youngest is 11. We won't get through SOTW a full three times, probably only twice. So, I am a tad more concerned that she start cementing some of the details now. But, she is not a strong reader (processing issues), so the extra reading isn't always a simple matter. I think we'll just keep plugging along and maybe add some additional books here and there as we can. The projects are often fun, as well, when they aren't too "crafty" to really do anything to help with understanding. We do them sporadically.

Anyway, thanks for the tips.

Doran

Sorry I didn't help more! I didn't realize the age of your child. I think I would be more concerned about more of the details as well. I don't have any other great ideas though. Can she outline? Would taking notes help her remember?

fiction or non-fiction, either together or independently? Layer with multiple resources really helps retention.

I love the narrative style of SOTW, but the weekly jumping from topic to topic drove me a bit crazy. It didn't give us enough time to read those extra books. One week would be on the Phonicians, the next on Egypt, the next on India or China. That doesn't leave enough time really read any extra material.

Sorry I didn't help more! I didn't realize the age of your child. I think I would be more concerned about more of the details as well. I don't have any other great ideas though. Can she outline? Would taking notes help her remember?

You had no way to know what age child I was talking about! :o

Outlining and note taking are very hard for her -- writing and reading are still such a struggle that I am only just having her write some of her own narrations instead of doing them for her. I feel she actually loses so much content when struggling over how to get the words on paper. Gotta get this kid proficient on a keyboard!

Thanks for your help -- it means a lot.

Doran

read a section, answer the review questions in the activity guide. In SOTW 3 & 4 I had to help my kids with these review questions. The next day I would ask the review questions again before we would write about it. Maybe you could even read it again the second day. I do think it gets more complex in 3 and even more in SOTW 4. But, we loved them!!