Menu

Vandiver's Iliad & Odyssey courses - dvd or cd?

Vandiver's Iliad & Odyssey courses are on sale for $25 for cd or $40 for dvd format at Great Courses. Would anyone recommend one format over the other?

I'm much more likely to listen on cd in the car or while cleaning the house, but would my children (when they reach that point) get more from the dvd?

Thanks!

yvonne

I think it depends on your budget, how you'll be using them, and whether or not your children have a decided preference for one over the other. We tended to listen to/watch TC lectures after lunch as part of our discussion time. I sometimes dozed off during the audios so I tried to fold clothes, iron, or do needlework while listening. At that time of day having a visual focus was helpful, but to help us stay within our budget I tried to buy a mix of audio and video. I sometimes used TC for practicing note-taking skills, and the video format worked better for that. YMMV, though. We have her Iliad, Odyssey and Aeneid on audio and that format worked for us.

I'll just chime in that video works best at our house. I do listen to cassettes still in the car (!) but not usually something that I want to concentrate on, like TTC lectures.

My ds and I lose track fast with the audios, so we don't get our money's worth out of them. Even if it's just a podium we pretty much need the DVDs.

Sometimes you can try the library to test pilot -- our library is more likely to have the audios.

Julie