Menu

A Mathematician's Lament

Just found this linked on another website. A fascinating read. . .

http://www.maa.org/devlin/LockhartsLament.pdf

I thought of Bill many times.

But it leaves me asking the question, how could I possibly provide an understanding like that to my children when I don't understand it myself? I knew that I wanted a curriculum that taught the whys of math, which I never learned, but this goes so far beyond that.

I seem to remember this being discussed at some point.

Yes. Here.

I read the comments on this linked thread and was relieved to see that other people's impressions matched up with my own! It does sound lovely. And I don't disagree that you need to know the whys behind math or learn to play with it. But - the whole let's learn math through discovery thing - well, it made me think of Everyday Math and that's not a good thing to think about!

As a musician and as someone who likes to dabble in art, I can say that I can't play with music or paint and appreciate it without learning some of the rules and techniques of both. It doesn't have to be dry. But you do need a foundation to build on.

I seem to remember this being discussed at some point.

Yes. Here.

Thanks for the link to this old thread - I needed it today. (It seems to me there may be another one someplace... here)

What I'd really like is a discussion contrasting the fuzzy math discovery approach with the AoPS discovery approach, which would seem to be night and day. You can read Rusczyk's articles on problem solving here and here, though I don't know of an article in which he explains, specifically, how his books do this, other than perhaps the notes in the front of the book. He really breaks down the discovery into itty bitty pieces, and from my layman perspective, I think his teaching leans toward pure math as opposed to fuzzy math - can anyone comment?

I know Rusczyk writes and teaches for a niche (high-performing math students) but I often wonder what would happen if his approach were applied to a more general student population.

Edited by wapiti