Menu

Does Singapore math go through high school?

katnorman

Thank you! This is such a hard decision!! I want to just start a math program and not switch but I JUST. CAN'T. DECIDE. So, just tell me which one to go with :D

Do Primary Mathematics (Singapore) in Elementary then use Art of Problem Solving in Middle School and High School.

Seek no more :D

Bill

And you just added to my choices :glare: But probably made my decision easier, thanks Bill!! My husband wants to do Singapore math and I just wasn't so sure because of the high school level and now you just gave me a very good option :D

At this point I see no better options. Adding in some MEP in lower grades would be cool. And Ed Zaccaro.

Now when Beast Academy (Art of Problem Solving) starts eventually releasing books for the 2nd-5th grades (we expect release of the first book [3rd Grade?] next Summer) then your decisions (and mine) might get a whole lot more complicated. The sample chapter they sent out for a limited preview was outstanding.

Until then, start with Singapore. Add mind stretching supplements (including their own Intensive Practice), and you are good.

See how easy decision making is now? :D

It's all settled!

Bill

After 6th grade, you can switch to any prealgebra program (including Saxon or a plain old textbook). I wouldn't worry about tying high school math to elementary math. They don't need to be from the same publisher. I try to stick with the same publisher for grades 1-6, but beyond that, you can use a different publisher each year and be just fine (if you're using traditional American "algebra", "geometry", etc. - you wouldn't want to switch back and forth between Singapore and traditional American books because Singapore is integrated).

I would only add a tiny word of encouragement to remain flexible. You and your child may benefit from a change no matter how well you lay your plans. And that change can be nothing but wonderful. If you pin too much need on "sticking with the same program" you might find you are loathe to switch even when you really do need to.

Just a thought. Good luck and happy schooling.

I have a question about the "Art of Problem Solving" books, not having looked at them. They seem wonderful from what I read, but are they really intended to be used alone / as the primary textbooks? Or are they conceived as more of an extension resource?